Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 06 escape that has started to not wanna come out of park after its been driven. Does not happen all the time but oh boy is the wife getting irritated with it.

It starts right up, the shift button stays in a locked position, sometimes starting it a few times it will release, other times after it sits its fine. Hasnt happened to me yet but anyone have any ideas?

Thanx

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
My first thought is a sticking brake pedal position switch. Does the interlock solenoid "click" when you press the brake pedal while in Park? If not, trace the brake pedal assembly up and you should see a pressure switch. Make sure that isn't sticking; lubricate it if it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know, dang thing has always started for me :D I'm headin over to look at it now, your idea sounds like it may be the problem, Thank you for such a fast reply :rockon:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
With the switch out of the way, the next thing that could be wrong is a sticking or intermittent solenoid in the shifter assembly.

Here's the wiring diagram for the 2005-2007 shift interlock system:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... erlock.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You're welcome!

BTW, the solenoid could be sticking for a reason: did anyone spill coffee or soda into the shifter assembly? That could create a gummed-up mess in the interlock mechanism.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not that I know of. She decided she wants to take it to the Dealer,, glad its her $ ...... :lol: Guess it takes me outta bein the bad guy if it won't shift :angel:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it FINALLY happened to me today, I can feel the solenoid in the shifter clicking, not wanting to stay engaged, 2 questions, can I just disable it like I have on a Trans Am? ( just pulled the connection) and whats the best way to get to it to replace without breaking clips on console?

Thanx again, this site ROCKS for info :yes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the POS fixed, if anyone needs to know a quick easy fix lemme know, I am WELL versed in console removal AND how to make it come outta gear WITHOUT removal in case it happens out on the road :shades:

·
Registered
95 Posts
On the top of the console you can see a little oval square. This is the cover for the interlock release.

All you need to do is pop that tiny cover off and just press it down. That will manually release the lever.

You could just stick something that will keep that pressed down but I advise against it given that its for security reasons that this locked in the first place.

The underside of the trim cover is held by a couple of Philip 2 screws that are easy to remove

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Xcape said:
On the top of the console you can see a little oval square. This is the cover for the interlock release.

All you need to do is pop that tiny cover off and just press it down. That will manually release the lever.

You could just stick something that will keep that pressed down but I advise against it given that its for security reasons that this locked in the first place.

The underside of the trim cover is held by a couple of Philip 2 screws that are easy to remove
:yes: :yes: :yes: Yep, figured all that out,,,, finally :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's 09 Escape wouldn't shift out of drive, she got it home and just shut it off. I started it up, bumped around on the shift lever and got the trigger on the shifter to allow me to squeeze it and it shifted into park. Now it will not allow me to squeeze the trigger on the shifter handle. I checked ALL the fuses and found all of them are OK. All the brake lights work. I can feel the solonoid in the console actuate when I apply the brake, but I can't squeeze the trigger on the handle. Is this an indication that something in the shifter has broken.
Can anyone tell me how the top of the console comes off? All the screws are out of the sides, but with the shift lever in Park, I cannot slide the console back or raise it up to get it out. Does the trim on the bottom of the dash (cig lighter and line in jack) need to come off first? So much plastic and no idea where to pry up or how to release it.

This is a great vehicle, love the way it drives and handles. 77K miles and absolutely no other problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts