Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
121 - 140 of 245 Posts
Discussion starter · #122 ·
I just noticed my trail light. The cracks aren't really visible even four feet away. I think it happened when I was pushing the F250.

#Blackhorse Grille Guard
#Northstar LED Traillight
#Plasti-Dipped Grille
#Spyder Headlights

Discussion starter · #124 ·
Maybe shattered is the correct technical term. Whatever it's called, fortunately it's still on and the lights still work.

When it does go, replace it with two pods

Discussion starter · #127 ·

Mwah haha.

The tip, before.

After. Have some paint drip. Went with grill paint.

If I have this Friday off, I'm going to go to the auto hobby shop on base, get it on a lift, and work on it.

#Gibson Exhaust Tip

Looks great man, good luck with the install.

Definitely send me a sound bite

Rook said:
Looks great man, good luck with the install.

Definitely send me a sound bite
Or post the sound clip here

Discussion starter · #130 ·
Gibson Exhaust

And so, it began...

I sprayed down the rubber hangers with a silicon spray and the bolts with liquid wrench. Worked beautifully.

The first part was the easiest.

Got some supports up...

Now that the stock exhaust is dropped (and it's an easy job), onto the installation. This is where the troubles start.

I suppose this is a generic picture, because pipe "#A" sure as hell doesn't match mine. That threw me for a loop until I started matching up part numbers.

This also caused me some problems. I didn't know you could, or were supposed to, punch these "bolts" out. I had to call Gibson and they told me to do it, so with some trepidation I pushed ahead.

After I started installing the piping, I had a pretty big "doh" moment. I crimped the muffler intake pipe too close to where the head pipe slid in, and couldn't get a good connection. The head pipe just kept slipping out and I couldn't push it in further because I had already crimped the muffler. I was beginning to realize I was going to have a VERY bad day, because I couldn't push on with the Gibson exhaust and I had permanently removed the stock exhaust hardware. Then one of the mechanics in the hobby shop told me they had a "line extender" or something like that. It was a spinning piece of expanding metal used to widen pipes...and it worked perfectly. I almost wanted to hug the guy for saving my bacon.

To get the end of the pipes in, I had to take off my "custom" rear bumper guard mounts that a shop had welded in at Little Rock. Sad day.

And the exhaust tip! I pushed it a bit in so I could have clearance.

#Gibson Exhaust

CANNOT ACCESS YOUR FACEBOOK....

Discussion starter · #133 ·
Where should I upload videos?

Discussion starter · #135 ·
:doh:

Startup.

Idling.

Since I don't (and can't) have a Rear Bumper Guard, I can't mount a GoPro and record an epic...exhaust sound...video for you.

#Gibson Exhaust

That sounds great :drool:

Discussion starter · #137 ·
As a follow up, I went back to check the hardware I had to hand tighten since I couldn't get an impact wrench on them. Neither had backed off any, I'm happy to report.

And

Discussion starter · #138 ·
I tried a couple of projects today: the cabin air filter and a new engine cooling fan.

For the cabin air filter, turn your car on or to the accessories and put your windshield wipers up. Then open the hood and begin removing these small phillips head screws. You'll need to push them up from the bottom.

You'll see this small filter box underneath after pulling up on the "shelf". Just pop open the tabs.

And like many others have found out, I have no filter. I put the one in I bought and voila, filtered air for when I hit the trails or a dirt road.

Discussion starter · #139 ·
My second project didn't go nearly as well. My engine cooling fan turns on constantly and sounds like a jet engine, which is not only obnoxious and irritating but covers up more pleasant sounds, like the exhaust :D I bought a "Spectra Premium® Engine Cooling Fan Assembly" but that was before I found this thread: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t35733_ds525034. However, I already had the fan so I pressed on.

The engine cooling fans are mounted by two screws to the radiator. That's it. Seriously. Well, that and some electrical connectors. This is the passenger side (vehicle right) screw. There's a bit of foreshadowing here; see those two coolant lines? They're going to be a pain in the rear.

Here's the driver's side (vehicle left).

This is the electrical connector on the passenger side (vehicle right). Super easy to access. Just press a flattip screwdriver down on the "bottom" of the connector and it will pop out.

And the one on the driver side (vehicle left). The red circle is something I found out a little too late - there's a plastic screw connecting the wire bundle to the fan. The hole for it in the replacement fan is also in red.

At this point it seems like I stopped taking pictures. To walk you through what else I did, I loosened the latch that you use to actually open the hood and spun it backwards to give the shroud under it (and on top of the radiator, fans, grille, etc.). Then I also loosened the tetris puzzle pieces connecting the grille to the frame, and the grille to the connecting pieces.

However, none of this was able to give the cooling fan clearance to get out. It either hits the coolant lines or jams up in the hood latch mechanism. I wanted to complete the job without a huge work load of radiator removal, but I simply don't think it's possible.

Another day.

Great how-to posts

:clap:

121 - 140 of 245 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.