Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we have the new Tribute apparently the same tires as what Ford has been putting on these little Sport Utes for awhile. How long did you keep your original tires on the SUV, and why did you pull them off? Was it wear problems, noise, or what? I am just looking to keep an eye on things as we are driving the heck out of our new little sport ute.

Oh yes, I dug around and found this old thread Dasha started in March.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=210

Just in case you wanted a refresh, or had a need to read it again. :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
I had 35K on them ("02" XLT 4WD) when I replaced them with Triple Treads. I may have been able to go another year. But they were beginning to Hydro-Plane really bad and that was with one tire Rotation and Alignment. (I know, shame on me) Ride and noise never bothered me, as with some others. I have read where, some owners put different tires on right-away (with-in the first year) Others couldn't wait till they wore out. It's really up to you, how you like them and your finances. If they don't bother you. Leave them on till they wear out. After all you are paying for them. As for tire recommendation's. I love the Triple Treads and would/will put them on the wife's Hybrid when her Cont's wear out.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I have close to 11,000 miles on the Conti's that came with mine. From what I have been reading, I am not crazy about these tires at all !!
First sign of problems, and off they will come.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
PollKat said:
I had 35K on them ("02" XLT 4WD) when I replaced them with Triple Treads.
Same here (+/- 35k "02" XLT 4WD) but I replaced with the Fortera SilentArmor tire. At the time Triple Treads were new and they didn't have them in my size. I replaced them because the Contis weren't holding air very well. I had to constantly check the pressure and add air. I didn't really mind the noise, ride or the traction of the Conti's before I installed the GY's but afterwords I did notice a difference. Also, my gas mileage seemed to drop an average of 2 mpg after the new tires were installed. I'm not sure why but the difference was noticeable...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RobtRoma said:
PollKat said:
I had 35K on them ("02" XLT 4WD) when I replaced them with Triple Treads.
Also, my gas mileage seemed to drop an average of 2 mpg after the new tires were installed. I'm not sure why but the difference was noticeable...
Do the new GY have aggressive tread pattern? That could make a difference by as much as 10% in fuel mileage :shock: ! YIKES!

·
Registered
261 Posts
When My dad bought his new 08, he replaced the contricraps with GoodYear Fortera Triple treads.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Do the new GY have aggressive tread pattern? That could make a difference by as much as 10% in fuel mileage :shock: ! YIKES!
They might be slightly more aggressive... They seem to be better in rain but I didn't notice much of a difference in the snow. They are more of an all-season tire than a tire geared towards off-roading or anything like that. I think it might have to do with mass. I think the GY's weigh more because of the SilentArmor... but then again that's just a guess...

·
Registered
611 Posts
According to the read-out on my ScanGauge. The GY/TT, made ZERO difference on my MPG. Now then, cold/chilly weather. That's worth a minus 1.5 to 2 mpg difference.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PK, do you have a four or a six cylinder? We have the 2.3L four. Kinda curious how it goes.

My Bullitt Mustang has a 275 Hp V-8 and gets about 26 mpg highway, and 22 mpg around town. The four banger Tribbie wieghs the same, about 3500# and doesn't do any better on either hwy or city. In fact, the city cycle is only 20 mpg according to the sticker. So far, the EPA sticker mileage is about what we actually see. Then again, it's summer. We'll see what it does this winter.

·
Registered
611 Posts
jonas1022 said:
PK, do you have a four or a six cylinder? We have the 2.3L four. Kinda curious how it goes.

My Bullitt Mustang has a 275 Hp V-8 and gets about 26 mpg highway, and 22 mpg around town. The four banger Tribbie wieghs the same, about 3500# and doesn't do any better on either hwy or city. In fact, the city cycle is only 20 mpg according to the sticker. So far, the EPA sticker mileage is about what we actually see. Then again, it's summer. We'll see what it does this winter.
I have the V-6. Just finishing up on a synthetic oil test. (synthetic oil threw the whole drive-train, except the trans.) Will post results later next week.
I really (bad) do want that new Bullitt Mustang. Just don't want the payments for 15 years. :hyst: I like the MPG figures you posted on it. One last note. I can't vouch for the 4cyl. But with my V6 in winter. It takes about 45min (minimum) to get the Gallons Per Hour reading too read like summers (.3gph) It will read a tenth or two higher until the engine gets fully warmed up.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input PK. Hopefully the 153 hp four banger gets a couple more mpg than the V6. We shall see.

I have the 01 Bullitt. I bought it used two years ago. I have wanted one since they came out new, but wasn't in a position financially to buy one till 06. The PO was a collector and decided he wanted a Rousch Mustang instead. Go figure. The car barely had 8K miles on the clock. Its almost a 20K with me driving it on weekends and to National and Regional Mustang Bullitt events. I was going to drive to Myrtle Beach this year for the National IMBOC meet. But work got in the way. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts