Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but didn't come up with anything. Does anyone make a kit to convert the FEH over to electric operation.instead of being run off the motor? I am considering buying a used FEH, but I live in Phoenix, and having the A/C run off the engine doesn't make much sense to me in a hybrid (especially out here where we use A/C most of the year). If there are kits how much are they (I can do my own installation), who makes them, and are they any good?

·
Registered
758 Posts
There are no electric kits that I know of. This question has been raised on another "hybrid" site and many of us question whether this will make a difference in fuel economy. This is based upon the belief use of the AC will drain the hybrid battery state of charge, thus effecting the ability to go and remain in electric mode. I'm not sure if you are aware but Ford's hybrid system only "utilizes" 13% of the hybrid battery capacity-for long term durability purposes. When the "state of charge" drops to 40%, the internal combustion engine is forced on. When the "state of charge" reaches 53%, the MG1 (generator in the eCVT) stops recharging the hybrid battery and further gains in state of charge come only from regenerative braking-stepping on the brake pedal. Toyota's (a little larger) and Honda's (a lot larger) systems have a larger state of charge range. There are numerous Honda owners reporting on their hybrid battery going south at 80-100,000 mile range -via the other "hybrid" site.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A123 was supposed to come out with one for the Ford (in addition to the Prius, which has been available for a while), but they never did.

With commercial plug-in hybrids coming within the year (November, if you consider the Volt to be one; next year for the plug-in Prius) and with the all-electric Leaf by the end of the year for $25000 after rebate, the economics of the whole situation will be changing drastically, suggest waiting if you can.

-SPARKZZ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info, I'm not in a big hurry to purchase, just starting to look around and thought the escape hybrid might be a good choice. From what I hear they are reliable, 4 people can be reasonably comfortable for a day trip, has room to haul stuff, and from what I am hearing gets about what the EPA claims or better for mileage. What are people getting for mileage with the A/C on?

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
With our 09 MMH I have gotten 34 mpg with the AC on. This is a mix of city and country roads There is an ECON button that allows the vehicle to go in ev mode with the AC on. I have only had the vehicle since this past July and it only has somewhere between 5 and 6 thousand miles. I suspect that it will do even better if I would baby it more.

Running back and forth with it to work over the past few months I am averaging around 31.8 mpg. My drive to work is mostly country roads with speed limits ranging from 45 to 55 mph. I average about 5 miles over the speed limit most of the time (running to and from work). Anyway, not as much opportunity to hit EV mode as it will only stay in EV mode doing under 40 mph.

With all that said, I am still learning about the vehicle and I know of others on this board like BillyK who will be able to better advise you.

Good luck and welcome to the City ! :beer:

·
Registered
758 Posts
The 2009 and new Ford Escape Hybrid have a different engine (2.5L verse the 2.3L in the 05-08 models) and software changes that can enhance mileage. There are many factors that contribute to "mpg" figures including cold weather. There is a "hypermiler" ;) FEH owner in Florida who lets eveyone know he has a 43 mpg lifetime average in his 2005 FEH that he still has. He purchased a new 2009 FEH last year and is "stating" 55 mpg lifetime average. Figure these averages as "extreme" and unlikely to match in your home environment. If you go to the other forums you will notice a lot of posters stating 30-40 mpg figures during the warmer months. Believe me, your mileage is going to take a significant hit during real cold winter weather. I am not an expert hypermiler and do not claim to know everything about these vehicles.

The comments about converting the FEH to a plug in (PHEV) did not mention a vendor in Boulder, Co. (Hybrid-Plus) has done a number of conversion in the last several years. However at a price tag of $32K it is pricey. The cost of the lithium-ion battery cells are the most expensive part of this conversion and it may take a few years for a drop in price.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Raveon said:
having the A/C run off the engine doesn't make much sense to me in a hybrid
EUREKA!!! I FOUND YOUR ANSWER . . . .

BTW, my car DOES HAVE electric A/C

-SPARKZZ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.