Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Convience Package Addition

14K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  motorsportguy333 
#1 ·
Can i add the lighted visor mirrors and homelink rear view mirror to my 08 escape? And by this i mean is there already wiring ran to each location to power these accessorys or do i have to get a wiring harness? Also how do i get the center dash display to show the interior temperature, along with temperture controls. I can see that the display has a lot more features on it than are currently active, is there a way to hook up the additional features or does it have to be done when the vehicle is built?

Thank you for your help.
Mike

#2 ·
Mike,

Welcome to E-C!

If you don't have automatic temperature controls, that part of the upper center console display will (probably) be blank. There are two different modules that control the blower motor, the A/C, and the various motorized vents. The manual module is called the HVAC-EMTC. The automatic module is called the HVAC-DATC, and it receives control inputs from the the Front Control Interface Module, then feeds display information into the Front Display Interface module to control the display. The wiring diagrams for the two modules show different harnesses and connectors inside the instrument panel, and converting one to the other would likely cost nearly $1,000 or more in parts, especially for the extra modules and sensors.

As far as the visors go, none of the Escape models are wired with an always-hot connection to or near the visors. The hot connection that is there is part of the Battery Saver circuit, which will cut off power if the ignition is off and something is drawing from it for more than ten minutes. This will be fine for visor illumination only, but not for Homelink (see below). The wiring diagrams aren't clear about whether or not you will have connectors installed if the visors do not already have lamps (since they always vary by model and equipment levels), but if the connectors are there, each one will have two wires (one BLACK ground wire and one YELLOW with GREEN STRIPE wire for +12V Battery Saver). The connectors are located at the base of each visor's mounting point, and they should have power.

If you buy a HomeLink visor, you'll need a continuous +12V supply. On the main driver-door connector (C314, see below), there's a GREEN with RED STRIPE wire at pin 31. It's a continuous +12V, from a 7.5A fuse at F12 in the fuse panel. This is the circuit for the exterior power mirrors. If you remove the driver-side kick panel, you should be able to see the harness leading to the door connector. Make sure it's the same wire that runs to pin 31 on the door connector, then tap into it and run it up the A-pillar next to the standard harness already there, and you'll have power for a HomeLink visor.

#6 ·
I'd get a Donnelly or Gentex mirror again in a second, if I needed it. :D

For 2005-2007 models, the visor lamp +12V feed is still part of the battery saver circuit, but the two wires on each connector are BLACK (ground) and VIOLET with ORANGE STRIPE (battery saver).

C314 (the driver-side door connector) is different for 2005-2007 models, and the power mirror control is on the dash, not in the driver-side door. So, you could tap into the LIGHT GREEN with RED STRIPE wire, which is the continuous +12V feed for the brake switch. It's controlled by fuse F6 (15A). You can find that wire in the floor side of the large harness under the driver-side kick panel. Part of that harness runs up the A pillar, so you'd need to remove the grab handles and the A-pillar to fish it up there.

#7 ·
Thank you for your response, you definetely seem to know your way around the electrical system. How about changing my dash display from the regular XLT to one with the message center. Is it a matter of just swapping them or is there other associated things to worry about?

#10 ·
Do you have a compass display in the cluster? If not, adding that feature to the cluster would involve a new harness from the A-pillar up, since there's an extra connector for the compass module behind the rear-view mirror.

Also, on the lower left side of instrument panel, near the headlight switch, is there a blank rectangular panel? If so, and you can remove it, is there an 8-pin connector behind it? If so, adding the INFO/SETUP/RESET switch may be all you need to do to add message center functions to the cluster. If the connector isn't there, you'd also need a new harness behind the instrument panel, or at least that connector and the wiring to the cluster.

The wiring diagrams aren't clear about any differences in the clusters between models that have the message center and models that don't, so adding these features may also involve changing the entire cluster assembly.

#13 ·
It looks like the one main harness behind the instrument panel determines whether or not you have the connectors you need for both the exterior temperature and for the message center.

Here's another view from inside the instrument panel:

I searched through the entire DVD, and I can't find a separate external temperature sensor. My guess is that the external temperature is now interpreted by the Mass Air Flow/Intake Air Temperature sensor. That sensor is connected directly to the Powertrain Control Module, and maybe it connects that info to the Module Communications Network that the Front Display Interface Module uses, via the instrument cluster (the only common module I can see between the two "networks"). I don't have any info on whether there are different FDIMs for the different display features, but my guess is that there are several of them (since that module also controls the displays for the various audio systems). None of the connector diagrams show an external temperature sensor in the front area of the car, either (near the horn, headlamp, and signal wiring, as on many previous Fords).

I wish I could tell you more, and I could if I had access to a 2008 parts list. My Escape list goes to 2007. :wall:

PS... did you have a chance to remove the rectangular panel to the right of the headlight switch? If there's an 8-pin connector behind (or connected to) that panel, you may be able to add the message center functions by replacing that panel with the message center switch assembly (around $25) and a new cluster (around $240). The cluster is definitely different part number with the message center.

#14 ·
Yes i was able to get the panel off and there is an 8 pin connector there, ready for the switches..haha...anyways how does the new cluster work as far as having the vehilces mileage on it? I wish i could find a way to hook up the temperature thing on the display, of course it has to be difficult!!

#15 ·
I read that the newer clusters need to be "flashed" with the current mileage. But I'm not sure if that means that the mileage is stored in the cluster, or in the Smart Junction Box.

#18 ·
Hi,

I realize this thread is a bit dated but I was wondering if anyone could answer a few more questions with regards to a Homelink mirror.

I have a 2009 Escape which has the autodimming mirror but I'd like to swap it out for the Homelink/Autodimming model.

First question is do you think there is a possibility that since the Ignition On power for the current mirror is already there that there might be an Always On power source pre-wired as well?

And secondly, if I need to run an Always On line where is the driver-door connector located on the 2009 Escape?

Thanks

#19 ·
A 2009 Escape with an auto-dimming mirror will have only an Accessory Delay feed. It's active (+12V) after you shut off the engine and until someone opens either front door and/or until after ten minutes goes by.

You should have either 3 or 5 wires on the mirror connector:

Pin 1 - BLUE wire - Accessory Delay (+12V) in RUN/ACC and after the engine is shut off for 10 minutes or until a front door is opened
Pin 2 - GREEN with BLUE STRIPE wire - Reverse lamps (+12V when the reverse lamps are on) - this takes away the auto-dimming feature when in REVERSE
Pin 3 - BLACK with GREEN STRIPE wire - Ground
Pin 6 - YELLOW with GREEN STRIPE wire - Compass + feed to the instrument cluster
Pin 7 - BLUE with GRAY STRIPE wire - Compass - feed to the instrument cluster

The Accessory Delay feed won't really work well for a Homelink mirror, and the harness already inside the A-pillar does not contain a continuous +12V feed.

But there's a YELLOW with RED STRIPE wire in the harness shown below, just above the brake lamp switch. It's a constant +12V to fuse F2 (15A), and it powers the brake lamp circuit. Obviously, be very careful with the way you tap into and wire this connection, since a blown fuse on this circuit will stop your brake lights from working, as well as signals to the Speed Control Servo and the Powertrain Control Module.

#20 ·
Do you have the part numbers for the 3 button "info, setup" switch that is near the headlight switch? Also, looking for the part number for the cluster w/message. This would be for a 2008 Ford Escape.

AND...... if I am reading this post correct, I can plug those 2 things in, have the dealer :flash" it, I should have the message center?

Thanks, Fritz

#21 ·
I'll find out about the cluster flash. That sounds like a George Carlin bit. :lol:

Do you have a build date for your Escape? There are different clusters for 2008 Escapes built before and after April 2, 2007.

The switch module for the message center: part number 8L8Z-10D889-AA (about $17). That's from the service DVD, but check with your dealer to make sure.

Also, make sure that you have the 8-pin connector behind the blank face plate to the right of the headlamp switch. If you don't have the connector, you'll need to buy an uber-expensive harness for it.

#22 ·
jpark said:
I'll find out about the cluster flash. That sounds like a George Carlin bit. :lol:

Do you have a build date for your Escape? There are different clusters for 2008 Escapes built before and after April 2, 2007.

The switch module for the message center: part number 8L8Z-10D889-AA (about $17). That's from the service DVD, but check with your dealer to make sure.

Also, make sure that you have the 8-pin connector behind the blank face plate to the right of the headlamp switch. If you don't have the connector, you'll need to buy an uber-expensive harness for it.
According to the door label, it was made 4/08. I have made sure I have the 8 pin connector, it is attached to the "blank" insert that is there.
I googled that part number, unable to find it right off. I am sure I have to check with the dealer then.

#23 ·
It's a good thing that you have the connector! It's part of a very large harness.

Since the part is relatively new, you probably won't find it directly from a search engine. Go to parts.com, click "OEM part number search", add the part number, and select Ford.

The switch module is $15.74 as of this morning.

I'm still waiting for an answer on the flash for the cluster. It looks like the cluster part number for the late-production 2008 models (with a message center) is 8L8Z-10849-D. Again, make sure about the part number by contacting a Ford dealer. The message center cluster is $248.22 as of this morning.

You may also be able to find a used cluster on eBay.

#24 ·
There's good news on the cluster swap:

You should be able to do this. You might want to have a dealer perform this swap for you since they will need to do a parameter reset in the PCM for the PATs keys.

If you are buying a new cluster, it will learn your keys once they are put in the ignition and turned to RUN. Make sure that you have at least two keys with you when you do this, since they're required to program the cluster.

If you get a used cluster, the dealer will need to do a parameter reset on both the cluster and the PCM and clear the keys out of the cluster. If you have the dealer use the "as-built" data to configure the new cluster, it should work.

There are no configurations for message center.

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.