Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically I still haven't flushed my coolant system yet... :confused:
but I did pick up a new drain plug as well as a Cooling System Flush Kit ( the one where you connect the garden hose and pump everything through )
But I don't know where the "heater hose" is that I am supposed to cut. Between the Heater and Water Pump it says on the packaging.

Does anyone know where the correct hose for this is located?
anyone have any other advice?

Lately I've been checking and changing all the fluids / old parts before my trip to South Carolina. This will be my first big trip that the escape has seen, so I want everything to work correctly. The coolant flush will be the last thing I need to do.

thanks

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Check at the fire-wall and you will see two hoses close to each other.If they are placed vertical, the upper one is coolant in and the lower coolant out.If they are placed horizontally the left one is coolant in and the right one colant out.
If there is no specific reason for flushing then it is advisable not to do it with the radiator on the car.Flushing any fluid system in the car is a periodic maintainance service one does, (if he/she pleases), and not a method to repair some kind of malfunctioning.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SUVord said:
If there is no specific reason for flushing then it is advisable not to do it with the radiator on the car.Flushing any fluid system in the car is a periodic maintainance service one does, (if he/she pleases), and not a method to repair some kind of malfunctioning.
I took the escape to the dealer a while back and the only thing that needed to be looked at was the coolant, the note at the bottom said "needs coolant flush" so thats why I'm trying to do it myself, If i can save a few bucks i'll be happy. I feel like ive spent too much this year at the dealership for bearings, tie rods, sway bar links, windshield...

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Let the dealer take a hike and just change the coolant.Drain the old one out, pour new one in, done.It should be changed every three years or so, depending on the use of the car.If you do not have a specific issue with the coolling system just change the coolant and you should be good for another three years.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Chilton manaul has a procedure for flushing the cooling system without the need for splicing in a flushing tee.
It's fairly simple... on the 2.0L I4 anyway. To drain the radiator I attached clear tubing to the radiator drain valve, then directed it towards the front of the car & into a bucket. After disconnecting the radiator hose & removing the thermostat, I attached a shop vac hose to the radiator nipple then rigged a water hose to that. I rotated the disconnected radiator hose so that it aimed down, then I attached a swimming pool vac hose to it so that the old coolant could be more effective collected. The pool hose also allowed me to direct the clean/flushing water to the lawn. After flushing the cooling system thoroughly w the water hose setup, I disconnected that then poured in two 2.5 gal jugs of distilled water to flush out the tap water, doing it as a continuous pour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.