Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Chiltons manual has a rather good explanation on how to flush the coolant out with a garden hose, it is rather easy to do. the hardest part is finding all the drain plugs on the block and trying to figure out how to open them lol. What year is your escape and what color is the coolant?? If it has the green coolant in it i would recommend a cleaner and change out to the stuff they currently use like the orange stuff, but make sure to get it ALL out of there! but other than that i just the use the motorcraft coolant descaler in a bottle and tap water, you can also use prestone. just remember to use distilled water for the final rinse just before using the new coolant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just remember to use distilled water for the final rinse just before using the new coolant.
This is interesting, I've been reading some information on the use of distilled water in the engine and how distilled water is considered "hungry water" and it can actually pull minerals and ions out of the metals because it is devoid of any minerals.

I wonder if anyone else had any comments about this. For years I used distilled water because I thought it was more pure, but now it's possible that it doesn't make any difference or might even be worse?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
john1028 said:
just remember to use distilled water for the final rinse just before using the new coolant.
This is interesting, I've been reading some information on the use of distilled water in the engine and how distilled water is considered "hungry water" and it can actually pull minerals and ions out of the metals because it is devoid of any minerals.

I wonder if anyone else had any comments about this. For years I used distilled water because I thought it was more pure, but now it's possible that it doesn't make any difference or might even be worse?
Solid aluminum and other metal in your engine should not have significant mineral content in the first place that can be pulled out - if it does, then it was the result of a previous improper flush. Using tap water or other non-distilled water with mineral content will lead to mineral scaling and building on the inside of your engine over time. At the worst, this can cause things like your water pump to corrode and seize, or else some other overheating condition.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Friction at high temperatures and at 1 bar pressure results in many impurities drawn by the circulating fluid.Distilled water seizes to be what is meant to be when circulating in the system.
A good tap water is all that is needed as long as it is mixed with the right amount of coolant, depending on the altitude.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
SUVord said:
Friction at high temperatures and at 1 bar pressure results in many impurities drawn by the circulating fluid.Distilled water seizes to be what is meant to be when circulating in the system.
A good tap water is all that is needed as long as it is mixed with the right amount of coolant, depending on the altitude.
I respectfully disagree with you on that. I am new to Escapes, but have worked on other cars for years, and I have always heard from other mechanics, blogs, and other sources that you should use distilled water.

I guess it depends on what sorts of impurities you're talking about. I'm not saying that the distilled water is going to be as clean after 30k miles as the day you put it in. However, it will reduce the possibility of corrosion and mineral scaling in your system.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
As long as someone is satisfied with the way he or she does things I see no ground for argument.
It is just that this thread got a little deeper on the issue of water choice for the cooling system.
Following one method or the other will mostly pass unoticed for the regular life of the vehicle.
:beer: No distilled water in that mix.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi guys,

Interesting post, just wondering, how long do you wait to change your coolant? i think my coolant is probably from factory and coming to 6 years old now... with 40 degrees summer coming up in perth I was wondering if I should change the coolant.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
techy said:
Hi guys,

Interesting post, just wondering, how long do you wait to change your coolant? i think my coolant is probably from factory and coming to 6 years old now... with 40 degrees summer coming up in perth I was wondering if I should change the coolant.
The 2010 says to do it at 105k miles, and then every 45k miles. Not sure if the older vehicles are different...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I am unaware that glycol gets reduced/degrades in it's ability to cool and not freeze. It does have additives that do degrade. If your coolant is clean you can add the inhibitors, if it's starting to show rust after draining and filtering. I have the original coolant in my 94 F-150. It's been added to, and filtered many times, but it's the same. As for changing to the orange organic formula...I'd do that only if your green stuff is really bad. Otherwise, I recommend maintenance of the older fluid. It's what your Escape was designed to use. I don't know when the change over to orange was, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
jonas1022 said:
I am unaware that glycol gets reduced/degrades in it's ability to cool and not freeze. It does have additives that do degrade. If your coolant is clean you can add the inhibitors, if it's starting to show rust after draining and filtering. I have the original coolant in my 94 F-150. It's been added to, and filtered many times, but it's the same. As for changing to the orange organic formula...I'd do that only if your green stuff is really bad. Otherwise, I recommend maintenance of the older fluid. It's what your Escape was designed to use. I don't know when the change over to orange was, but you get the idea.
I suppose that's possible, but for most people, it's just easier to replace the coolant. Where do you even buy the inhibitors separately? I'd be surprised if Ford sold them separately, which still puts you in the position of using something the Escape was not designed around.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
You can buy the rust inhibitors at your local auto store, Walmart, Kmart...comes in a little plastic bottle for a couple of bucks. That is, if you want to D-I-Y.

I had the pickup done at the time a shop replaced my radiator, and then again when the radiator had a leak they filtered it again. Just for S & Gs. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
techy said:
Hi guys,

From the vehicle service guide that came with my 2005 Escape:

Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant
❑ 5 years or 100,000 miles - change Premuim Gold coolant (whichever comes first)
❑ After initial change - change Premium Gold coolant every 3 years or 50,000 miles

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
jonas1022 said:
You can buy the rust inhibitors at your local auto store, Walmart, Kmart...comes in a little plastic bottle for a couple of bucks. That is, if you want to D-I-Y.

I had the pickup done at the time a shop replaced my radiator, and then again when the radiator had a leak they filtered it again. Just for S & Gs. ;)
To each his own. Personally, I wouldn't trust those aftermarket cooling system "rust inhibitors" to be as effective as the OEM stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ltlredscape said:
The Chiltons manual has a rather good explanation on how to flush the coolant out with a garden hose, it is rather easy to do. the hardest part is finding all the drain plugs on the block and trying to figure out how to open them lol. What year is your escape and what color is the coolant?? If it has the green coolant in it i would recommend a cleaner and change out to the stuff they currently use like the orange stuff, but make sure to get it ALL out of there! but other than that i just the use the motorcraft coolant descaler in a bottle and tap water, you can also use prestone. just remember to use distilled water for the final rinse just before using the new coolant.
Where can I find the drain plugs??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.