Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loosing coolant liquid. Have to refill twice each month. Have checked all hoses, connectors - found no leaks.
Does anyone have experience of this?
Is this common, can the heating radiator (inside) leak?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have a similar issue although it doesn't sound like mine is as severe. I'm slowly loosing coolant and my mechanic claims it is leaking out of the head gasket somewhere, due to the fact he found coolant all inside the compartment the timing belt is in when I had it replaced. May not be the same in your case but I don't find fluid anywhere on mine, just notice the level in the reservoir slowly drops till I need to add a little every so often.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, forget to mention mine is 3.0 Litre V6, there is no timing belt, just a chain. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
420 Posts
im not a mechanic but, there a 2 places coolant can go, either leaking out of the engine or out the tailpipe. if your sure its not leaking then it prolly has a small head gasket leak, it could be an intake gasket leak (which would b easier to fix).
does it run rough and/or hot?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mr hammond said:
im not a mechanic but, there a 2 places coolant can go, either leaking out of the engine or out the tailpipe. if your sure its not leaking then it prolly has a small head gasket leak, it could be an intake gasket leak (which would b easier to fix).
does it run rough and/or hot?
The engine runs fine and not hot.

·
Registered
420 Posts
check the oil and look closely at it, look for foam or odd color. maybe put a piece of cardboard under it overnight and see if it gets anything on it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, oil looks fine. Have read somewhere that the expansion tank may have cracks.
This may be related to earlier makes. Found no dripping leaks over night. Still looking...

·
Registered
420 Posts
well, good luck, hope it turns out to b a simple and cheap fix

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe I've found the leak. A short hose from water pump to thermostat housing had a bad
clamp, now both the hose and clamp is replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts