Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Escape Limited 3.0 V6 automatic

I'm a nub to the forum, I did searched but couldn't find any posts about this.

There is a series of hoses and pipes that snakes around the cat converter right above the center frame support (looking from under the front).

It goes from the oil filter cooler, around the cat converter, through a (half inch?) pipe with a "U" bend and up from to a housing of some sort. Probably the water pump, but I can't see it well. It is on the driver's side and does have a belt going to it.

Anyway, it looks like it is leaking where the rubber hose meets the "U" pipe. But I guess it could be coming from above at the water pump (?) and running down.

1) What do I need to do (remove) to get in for a better look, or to replace them?

I have service manuals for other cars/trucks in the family fleet, but not the Escape. What is available for this vehicle, factory service book, Haynes, Clymer, etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did a new post with a water pump subject.

I can now see that the hose coming down out of the water pump is wet. I'm still not sure if it is hose connection or the pump going bad.

Here is a link with photos

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7363

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It is most likely that the hose is bad.In most V6s it is the first hose that goes south due to the extreme heat it gets because of its proximity to the catalyst.Leaking water pump does not wet this hose.By going to http://www.fordparts.com you will find the part number of it.If you cannot find this specific hose get a piece of silicone hose with the bigger end diameter and you tight fit it at the spaller diameter end link.That is what I have done myself some months ago and holds perfect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks SUV!

Do you recall how much coolant spills out when the hose is removed?

I want to take it with me to get the new hose, but I was hoping not to have to dump all the coolant.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is the vehicle due for a coolant change? Reference the maintenance schedule.
The coolant is one of those things that a lot of folks neglect... sometimes w dire consequences.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that is good advice re changing the coolant, I'm not sure when it was last changed. I have read about significant damage to pipes, heater cores, etc from old coolant. Maybe I'll tackle that with the next oil change.

I was able to change out the leaky hose with less than two liters leaking out.

The hard part was finding the replacement hose. The Ford link listed in the previous post did list some oil cooler hoses, but didn't show photos, so I wasn't able to tell exactly which one was the hose. They ranged in price from $20 to $40.

Couldn't find anything on the hose online at NAPA, Advanced Auto, Autozone or O'Reilly's. Called NAPA, the counter guy couldn't find anything either. O'Reilly had a Chilton service book for $19.99, Advanced had the Haynes for 24.99.

I took the old hose with me to O'Reilly, figuring to buy the Chilton book and check for a generic hose that I could make fit. The hose is 5/8" (16mm) ID on one end and 3/4" (19mm) ID on the water pump side, but based on the earlier post, I was willing to try to find something close that I could stretch a little on one end and cinch up on the other.

The counter guy at O'Reilly didn't find anything on the hose in the computer for the Escape or Tribute, but took the old hose to the back and found an almost perfect match. It is a Gates molded coolant hose #21740 ($5.99). The ID on both ends is perfect, but it was a little thicker on the OD. It is exactly the same length, and although it has a slightly different bend, the ends still squared up with the old one. I was able to use my old upper clamp, but needed to substitute a band type clamp at the hard line end, to replace the spring clip at the 5/8" end. Getting the clamps off and back on was the biggest pain, but I did it with small and large channel pliers and a long nosed vice grip locking plier. I also needed a hook/pick to pull the old hose off the water pump.

Tips: Remove the lower O2 sensor from the cat, to give yourself more room and reduce the chance of damaging the connector wire. You need to remove at least the front two screws from the passenger side front splash guard.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
There is a picture of that hose in the fordparts .com if you look into the water pump section.
I'm glad you fixed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again SUVord.
I was getting errors when I clicked the "view image" icon when I tried it before, but it is working for me now.
I can see the Ford part number for the hose is 6748B.

I'm looking forward to getting to know this new addition to our family fleet.
The Fordparts.com lookup is very nice, I'm sure I'll be using it again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
tlag said:
The hard part was finding the replacement hose. The Ford link listed in the previous post did list some oil cooler hoses, but didn't show photos, so I wasn't able to tell exactly which one was the hose. They ranged in price from $20 to $40.

I took the old hose with me to O'Reilly, figuring to buy the Chilton book and check for a generic hose that I could make fit. The hose is 5/8" (16mm) ID on one end and 3/4" (19mm) ID on the water pump side, but based on the earlier post, I was willing to try to find something close that I could stretch a little on one end and cinch up on the other.

The counter guy at O'Reilly didn't find anything on the hose in the computer for the Escape or Tribute, but took the old hose to the back and found an almost perfect match. It is a Gates molded coolant hose #21740 ($5.99). The ID on both ends is perfect, but it was a little thicker on the OD. It is exactly the same length, and although it has a slightly different bend, the ends still squared up with the old one. I was able to use my old upper clamp, but needed to substitute a band type clamp at the hard line end, to replace the spring clip at the 5/8" end. Getting the clamps off and back on was the biggest pain, but I did it with small and large channel pliers and a long nosed vice grip locking plier. I also needed a hook/pick to pull the old hose off the water pump.

]
tlag-
Big thanx for this tip-' got my a$$ out of a jam.
Went to the dealer to get the part - paid for it - but had to wait for next day o/nite express.
After calling O'Reilly- sure enough- they had it & the next day called for snow.
That hose is actually part of the transmission cooler setup for vehicles with towing package.
Mine is an '03 Limited just bequeathed to me with just under 100K.
'Sucker has been slowly dripping/ pi$$ing for about 3 months b/4 it became obvious.
'First post here - love my 'Limited so far- Last Ford of mine was a BigFoot Cruiser F-150- Good Times...♪♪

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
JBMORRIS said:
tlag said:

]
tlag-
Big thanx for this tip-' got my a$$ out of a jam.
Went to the dealer to get the part - paid for it - but had to wait for next day o/nite express.
After calling O'Reilly- sure enough- they had it & the next day called for snow.
That hose is actually part of the transmission cooler setup for vehicles with towing package.
Mine is an '03 Limited just bequeathed to me with just under 100K.
'Sucker has been slowly dripping/ pi$$ing for about 3 months b/4 it became obvious.
'First post here - love my 'Limited so far- Last Ford of mine was a BigFoot Cruiser F-150- Good Times...♪♪
Maybe I misread the posts but...

If the original line is meant for tranny fluid and the hose you purchased is actually intended for coolant, you'll need to replace the hose as soon as it's convenient. Coolant hose is not compatible with petroleum based products including oils and gas. It will dry up and crack fairly quickly when exposed to the materials along with the heat in the engine bay.

You can use oil compatible hose with coolant but not the other way around.

·
Registered
27 Posts
[Maybe I misread the posts but...]

That's why it gets tricky for Autozone- the coolant hose in question serves to cool the transmission fluid on vehicles with the "towing" option- like my '03 Limited.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts