Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reasonably happy with the tyres. They are not overly noisy and feel comfortable on sealed roads. The Cooper tyres appear to be safe enough in wet conditions, be it sealed bitumen roads including gravel tracks. These all terrains seem reasonably competent on muddy roads, but i found out they have a certain limit. The cooper at wheels become restricted depending on how much rainfall there has been.

My experimenting was intentional. When a mud track is exceedingly sloppy and wet, i felt the all terrains struggling to achieve traction. My offroading must have been a bit excessive ,because the all terrains developed into a no nothing terrain, due to the tread being thoroughly blocked up with mud.

For gravel and bitumen roads ,the tyres are quite competent and have good traction plus braking ability. They are reasonable on mud roads providing there has not been any excess rainfall. Cooper All Terrains definitely have a limit of traction, so henceforth it is advisable to judge the ground conditions.

Not bagging or criticising the Cooper atr. Quite pleased overall, but i managed to find out what their limit was.

In context of the aforementioned, i have decided to purchase some cooper tyres with more aggressive tread. The future tyres will be a set of Cooper SureTrac. Yes, i know they produce full on mud tyres designated as Cooper MT. Not into full on offroad exploring so i reckon the Suretracs should be a viable option.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I was running the Coopers on my Toy (used for open trails only no street use) and found the same issue with cleaning the mud out. I switched to the Firestone ATX and found it to be more aggressive in cleaning itself. The other day I went and purchased the Firestone Destinations and found them to have pretty much the same tread as the ATX.

My Coopers did awesome in hard dry open trails, in fact I'd say pretty much as well as any other A/T. Also my coopers lasted forever, however, they were on a strictly off-road rig..The ATX seemed to be a little softer then the cooper but even on dry soil wore faster then the Cooper.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts