Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a good question for JPark or Squishy...but I was wondering what the mounting depth is for a driver in the stock MACH subwoofer enclosure, as well as what the internal volume is. I'm guessing that it's around 4.5" depth max, and around .30-.35 cu ft...are these good estimates?

I've been seriously considering putting an Infinity Refference 850W (4 5/16" depth and .35 cu ft needed) or JBL GTO804 (4 3/8" and .3 cu ft needed) subwoofer in the stock enclosure with a Blaupunkt Class D amp. This would be some of the first upgrades to the stereo in my truck. I've found out that I've got a bunch of backpay coming my way, and I might be able to afford a few hundred bucks in upgrades.

The other question I have is, would I be be making a good choice with the sub/amp swap first, or should I replace the front and rear speakers first, or the head unit first? I've found a few places online that sell older model JVC Arsenal head units for a good price, and have reconsidered replacing the CD-6 Visteon deck.

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
148 Posts
i can tell you from personal experience that the jvc arsenal line is awsome! I installed the headunit kw adv790 about 2 months ago and i love it, It sounds awsome and has every option i was looking for, I think a good hu is the way to start to build off from your system , that way you can pick your speakers amp. etc. to compliment your headunit, you wont go wrong with the arsenal series from JVC . there also was no cutting or heavy mods when i installed it in my 05 escape one other side not was I compared the dvd picture quality, brightness etc, to a kenwood hu that the stereo shop was selling as well and noticed a better picture from the Jvc, could be that the kenwood was not adjusted properly as kenwood are great stereos as well, hope this helps abit Dino

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your suggestion about getting a new HU first is appreciated. I've had JVC Arsenal HU's before, and I agree that the SQ from them is fantastic, and the user interfaces are easy to operate. There's no question that I'll get another one (I am looking at an older model that is a Digital Hybrid Amp in it, and is actually 35 watts RMSx4, which is a lot of power for a single DIN HU).

Thanks again, and hopefully others are going to help with some new technical info...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would say it is all preference, if you prefer some bass than I would say go ahead and upgrade your sub-amp combo because running that combo off a factory deck isnt going to make a huge difference in how it sounds. A nice deck is definetly something you will want to do but I would say which ever you would like more is what you should get first. Only thing about running that sub amp combo off a factory deck is you would need to install a LOC in order to account for the RCAs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know a new HU will make a good difference, and I am still looking for one that is to my liking.

Still thinking about getting another driver for the stock sub enclosure, as well as a larger amplifier to drive it with, and go from there.

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far everybody!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.