Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One week after I bought my new '05 Escape, I was sitting in car letting it warm up. It was -2F outside early AM in NE Nevada. Windows were iced up, had defrosters on. After 5 min. I heard a cracking sound and noticed a crack at the lower part of the windshield. It ran from the middle of the L/side wiperblade across the wiper line to the middle of the R/side wiper. I took it back to the Ford dealer in town. They said it was caused by a rock chip. I took it down to 2 glass shops in town (you know they want money), but they could not find any rock chips anywhere in the glass. They informed me that it might be a stress problem being down so low on the wiper line. I got two letters from both glass shops went back to Ford. All I got was a big run around. I told them car still under warrenty for 3 years. I got the brush off still being told it was a rock chip caused problem. Three years later I still have Escape (great little and comfortable car), and still have crack. No other cracks anywhere just some small chips from the salt trucks. I want to know if anybody living in cold country had similar crack in windshield. I even contacted Ford Consumer line but they stood by dealer. I've had defroster on many times after that over the years and cold weather and no further problems. Is it a stress crack or cheap windshield?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
First off, I'm sorry to read about your crack. Imo, not really much to be done. My mother used to say, "Don't cry over spilt milk." There sure isn't any picking it up... :doh:

Replace the windshield and move on. Glass is almost a normal wear item. Much like tires, batteries, wipers and the like. I've replaced a few windshields in my time, they cost too much for what I think they are worth, but then again, most everything else does as well... :shrug:

My advise, buy a new windshield. Be happy with your Escape.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Have you ever tried to free a frozen wiper using an ice scraper?

I had my passenger window shatter in cold weather, but I'm still not sure if it was the cold or some neighbourhood kids. Nothing was stolen and the alarm did not go off (door wasn't opened). The front windshield has two unfixed chips and has held up without cracking in our winters that can see -40 temperatures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.