Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon.

I love my escape, however from the moment i got it at 15.5k miles until now i hear a loud creaking sort of noise from the back right under any sort of braking. but i dont think it is the actual brakes. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
EscapeBandit said:
I love my escape, however from the moment i got it at 15.5k miles until now i hear a loud creaking sort of noise from the back right under any sort of braking. but i dont think it is the actual brakes. any ideas?
Good morning EscapeBandit,

If you've already had your dealership check this out, send me a PM with your details so I can research ways to assist. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and servicing dealership.

Todd

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Linna said:
Its a pretty common issue, look up the posts on replacing ball joints and tie rod ends.
They said a noise coming from the right rear.
There aren't any ball joints or tie rods on the rear.

Is it disc brakes or drum brakes?

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you have drum brakes. most likely the creaking noise you are hearing is your brake shoes inside your drums moving back and forth as you have your brake applied.
The way to fix that is to pull your rear wheels off, remove the drums. clean away all the brake dust which could have built up in there. Take a silicone spray of some sorts and spray it inside the rubber boots of you wheel cylinders and then apply white grease to all moving parts as well as to the areas where your rear brake shoes rub against the backing plate. Give it a try. If the creaking noise is still there after you perform this first step, Then you will have to adjust your rear drum brakes by tighten up your shoes to your drums.
This is a common issues with these rear drum brakes on these Escape. I would know.. I fix them all the time.. lol Including my own. :wall:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same Problem...Different Time...

Right Rear Drum Brake 2012 Escape has made the dreaded "creaking noise" since I bought this Escape (120K miles) about a year and a half ago. It has a rotating creak-a creak-a creak-a from partial braking to progressively louder as you apply more pressure...almost embarrassing under hard braking coming up to a light.

Really clean car, after I bought it...Thinking the rear brakes were worn, I bought a set of Motorcraft brake shoes (expensive as I remember) and gave them to my mechanic to change. I know that he turned the drums. He bitched and moaned that it was difficult to fit the cheap brake shoes that I gave him, but I showed him the box was "Motorcraft"...??

It seemed better for a while, then the creak-a came back, just as bad...driving me nuts...

I jacked it up today, pulled off the wheel (first spinning it around to see if it might be bent...looks straight). Pulled off the drum...a little bit of dust, but not bad. Hardware looks relatively clean, should work fine.

What got my attention was that the rear shoe was shiny on the top and bottom (obviously where it had been rubbing more) the middle of the rear shoe was dull, as was the entire front shoe. Inside of the drum looked fine to me. And the REAR SHOE was a lot thinner (worn) than the front shoe. I am guessing I've got 15-20K miles on the shoes and the rear one is pretty thin and I will need to change it in the near future. And I am bummed !!

I thought I saw a rear disc brake conversion somewhere, but I am not sure that I want to spend that much money on this car...SO, I need advice on how to properly fix what I've got...

My buddy thinks that the wheel cylinder might be hanging up on one side (not putting equal pressure on both shoes ?) Looked fine to me, but who knows ?
I was going to start by buying new shoes and wheel cylinders ? Again, I don't think that these shoes have 20K on them ! I can probably get 5K more miles out of it, but that one back shoe is at least 50% gone.

I am wondering about the adjustment ? my buddy says not to adjust it because it does so automatically by itself.

My plan is to buy new shoes and wheel cylinders. But, I am still wondering what is going wrong ??

All help appreciated...Thanks !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts