Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure where to put this, so I figure it falls under powertrain... Sort of... Just wanted to see if anyone else notices this. When driving on the highway lets say on a hilly section or rolling hills, if I don't use the cruise I have a hard time keeping the vehicle from jumping into 5th gear from 6th on hills. When climbing I try to feather the gas and not shift down but I can't seem to keep the vehicle moving at a constant speed without it downshifting. Again on really hilly sections of road at a speed of about 70mph. If in manual mode as much as I try to not shift down and feather the gas, I lose speed.

But when in cruise and set to 70mph the truck NEVER shifts down. Instead I feel the truck pulling as if the gas pedal is pressed but it never shifts down. It stays in the 6th gear and really muscles up the hills with ease. Just trying to figure out if anyone else notices this. I keep an eye on the mpg and I see if drop quickly when in manual mode going uphill. But in cruise it hardly drops. I am not complaining. I am actually impressed with the truck's ability to maintain the speed in 6th gear. Just wondering whay I can't mimic this manually. Just random thoughts I guess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've noticed this, but I'm not sure why it happens. When not using cruise and it downshifts, I just put my foot into it more to make the downshift have some meaning. When the cruise is on and it motors up a hill no problem and stays in gear, I don't do anything. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've noticed this on some hills also, it felt odd because I was expecting the tranny to downshift. It obviously has something to do with the cruise control programming, because I only noticed a small decrease in speed. I would have to say this is normal behavior...

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I'm guessing it's due to the very gradual increase in throttle pressure by the cruise control. The transmission will downshift earlier if you press the gas more quickly.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is very odd. I try to simulate the ever-so-easy downward press of the pedal manually and it will always downshift. On big hills it does finally down shift in cruise, but the hill has to be significant. I have tested the same set of hills both ways and I go from 70-60 trying to do it manually wihtout shifting or it just shifts down to keep the speed. When in cruise it literally stays at 70 and does not down shift.

I am also happy to say that I am averaging 25 mpg for the last 2 tanks. This is highway, city and all over driving. I think the Escape has "adjusted" to my driving. I used to get 24-25 with the Passat on the same roads so I am very excited to get 25 mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is an old thread and maybe no one is interested, but it caught my eye because I experienced the same thing on my '10 Tribute 4 cyl auto. Before it was recalled for tranny issues it downshifted on a couple of hills on my commute. I took it in for the recall and apparently all they did was reflash the transmission control module as they had it ready to go in a couple of hours. I noticed some differences in the shift points but I was happy with the transmission shifting already so not much new there. I did notice that on cruise control, the transmission no longer downshifted on the two hills where it normally did before. Not an issue since it does't lose speed and is actually quieter without those two downshifts. It would seem that the programming had everything to do with whether it shifts down or not while cruise is engaged. Without cruise it downshifts at the slightest increase in throttle as it did before so that didn't change.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I noticed just the opposite. The transmission will down shift using the cruise and the rpm's will increase significantly, going from 2100 level ground cruise to 3000 or 3200 going up a hill. This is a 2007 3.0 Mariner.
I find it disconcerting to have the engine speed jump so much just because of a little hill, where I would manually feather the throttle a bit to avoid the down shift.
Any thoughts?
tom

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
tomw said:
I noticed just the opposite. The transmission will down shift using the cruise and the rpm's will increase significantly, going from 2100 level ground cruise to 3000 or 3200 going up a hill. This is a 2007 3.0 Mariner.
I find it disconcerting to have the engine speed jump so much just because of a little hill, where I would manually feather the throttle a bit to avoid the down shift.
Any thoughts?
tom
I find it very normal and expected.Cruise control has no human brains.It got a command to maintain a given speed and that is all it does regardless of the revs.I would be satisfied that the system works if it acts like you describe.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
The transmission will downshift in cruise control only if the programming authorizes it to do so. If it's in the program, the controller will have the tranny go down a ratio or two if it's in the mapping. If the map does not direct it to downshift the transmission, the transmission will not go down the ratio. :shrug:

Used to be, back in the day, that things (transmissions and cruise control) were operated off of intake vacuum. Authority could sometimes be abrogated by the lack of vacuum, or the size of the vacuum cannister. Not any more.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Katscan said:
Did the 2007's come with the 6 speed tranny? I thought that didnt arrive till the 08's
Nope, the '01-'08 automatic transmission models came with the four-speed CD4E. The 2009s were the first to receive the six-speed 6F35 automatic transmission.

However, the bodystyle did change to the current generation for 2008.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 07 will downshift on any hill on CC and it isnt uncommon to see it downshift from 4th to 3rd or even to second and the RPMs jump from 2,300 to 3,500 or more (depending on the hill). When i am not driving on CC just before i approach a hill i press the OD off switch (bec i am normally in OD to begin with on the highway, not in city traffic) to already cause it to downshift to 3rd and feather the throttle to keep that same speed i want to go up the hill with, and it will not downshift to an even lower gear.

my "other" car i had could climb a hill with ease in 4th and light throttle. it had a 4 speed with o/d.
i am still getting used to how high geared the CD4E trannys are....not used to it. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to revive this thread because my 2010 does what the OP is saying.

It feels like the engine is throttled somehow on the highway because it HAS TO downshift to feel like there is any power. I cant just feather the throttle and climb grades. I have to be very careful with my foot and even then sometimes it still downshifts.

Im not sure if this is normal but my 97 cherokee never had to downshift for these same hills. And it felt like it had way more pep without downshifting on the highway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.