Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a road trip in the Escape. I'm addicted to cruise control on highway trips. I consider myself a master in the use of its functions. I can go many miles making many adjustments and never needing to extend my feet to the pedals. I love cruise control.

I've had several vehilces that have this function. The latest is this Escape. The cruise control is not acting like is should in my opinion. It might just be the nature of this vehicle but I don't know, so I'll ask you Escape brethern what you think.

Here's the problem;

When set at a certain highway speed, lets say 65 mph, it falls back 3-4 mph when faced with the added load of a hill. Then, as it crests the hill, it over shoots the set 65 mph by 3-4 mph before settling back down. From the standpoint of a cruise control junkie, this is almost intollerable.

I hope there is an adjustment that can be made to correct this problem.

What do you know about this?

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
The only thing I know is mine is similar. I'm not a big fan of this either but my old Honda Civic was similar and I just figured this was the way most cruise controls worked...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Mine does that as well in hilly terrain. I do know on the uphill I override the cruise by pressing on the gas when it starts to slow. On the downhill all I can do beside cut it off is go WEEEEEE! as I race down the hill. :lol:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I've learned to live with it. As long as it doesn't get a mind of it's own, I can deal with a little annoyance.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I think using CC in hilly country isn't suggested. If a hill is short with a steep incline, it will even downshift.

In my area there's a short hill with a steep incline and a traffic signal not too far past the crest. CC causes a downshift and you go flying over the top only finding out that you must throw the anchor out quickly! :yahoo:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
My cruise control, does exactly the same also.
It is something i can tolerate.

Upon losing power up hill, i just step on the accelerator pedal.
When it creeps over on downtrack, i just re-adjust it.
On the level section of highway, it keeps good accuracy.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
stone said:
On the level section of highway, it keeps good accuracy.
Yeah that impressed me, I tested it with the GPS and it will return speed to within a tenth of a mile per hour if you disturb it's speed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mine will adjust on the uphill and even downshift if necessary to hold the speed. Works just as well going downhill except when the down grade is steep enough to allow excess speed. I might mention that I just had it inspected and adjusted at the dealership as it was inoperative until a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another cruise control issue i read from other blogs and/or forums is that many trucks were already crashed due to bad cruise control switch. They can no longer control the speed, and even stop it. Do you think using cruise control is still advisable? :confused:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Cruise control is advisable where and when it is safe to use it.There is plenty of literature about this and the instructions in the user's manual sum up this literature.
The fluctuations mentioned above are minimal and necessary for the powertrain to work, adjust and function properly.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
The older CC units were adjustable. Newer units built in the past 20 years do not have a sensitivity feature (what your talking about), or at no adjustment that I have found. I admit that I have not looked at the Mazda's. Some of this "flailing about" I've been told is for fuel efficiency. :confused: Huh? Yeah. At least that is what I said.

I have found that by "helping the throttle" (gently press on the gas pedal with your foot) on uphills. You can maintain your speed and thereby moderate, if not negate the "over throttle/speed" on the cresting of the hill. It'll also be less of an annoyance to surrounding and or following drivers, should there be any. Conversely, going down hill is easy enough. Tap the brake pedal to disengage the CC when the machine wants to go too fast. Once you have gotten to the bottom and are at the appropriate speed, just press the resume button. You will have achieved even more control of your CC by following these two tips. ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
jonas1022 said:
I have found that by "helping the throttle" (gently press on the gas pedal with your foot) on uphills. You can maintain your speed and thereby moderate, if not negate the "over throttle/speed" on the cresting of the hill. It'll also be less of an annoyance to surrounding and or following drivers, should there be any. Conversely, going down hill is easy enough. Tap the brake pedal to disengage the CC when the machine wants to go too fast. Once you have gotten to the bottom and are at the appropriate speed, just press the resume button. You will have achieved even more control of your CC by following these two tips. ;)
Exactly what i do! The Mitsibushi Montero Sport i used to drive could NEVER hold its speed via CC. It also wasnt adjustable and i seldom used CC with it lol.
a variation of a couple MPH is OK with cc but not TOO much. And it will downshift when nessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts