Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just started a few days ago.
car is an 03 escape with around 130k on the clock.

the light won't even come on on the dash when you tried to use it.
any thoughts as to what this may be, and where can i start looking?

·
Registered
370 Posts
The lack of cruise control could be due to a loose brake pedal (lot of play) where the arm is not engaging the switch for the cruise to work. Try taping 2 quarters on the pedal arm to engage the cruise control switch to see if that will solve the problem. Follow the brake pedal arm up and you will see the switches. Hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll look at this, but i did check the switch and it appears to be in full contact.

i'm also wondering if it maybe the switches on the steering wheel.
how can i verify this?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Does your horn work?

If the horn is also out, the problem may be a broken clockspring in the steering column.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Hmmm...

Here are the wiring diagrams for the cruise control on a 2001-2004 Escape. I didn't know which powertrain you have, so I included the manual transmission controls (the third image).

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... ruise1.jpg

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... ruise2.jpg

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... ruise3.jpg

You can see how the switches are connected in the second image (along with the horn). If the horn works, the clockspring is probably OK, so, as 0Escape5 said, I'd look at the deactivator switch next (the one with a RED with LIGHT GREEN stripe on one side of the connector). But this time, check it for continuity. The switch could be stuck closed.

HTH again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks,
car is a 5speed
i'll be checking this tomorrow while i'm looking at the gas gauge wiring from my other post.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Hope it helps. Please let me know if you need any other diagrams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
checked it today and according the my meter the switch was working every time i moved the brake pedal.

is there a way i can check that the on/off and cruise switches didn't go bad?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having the same issue. CC worked just fine one day, next day nada. The green dash light doesn't even come on. Has OP figured out the problem by chance?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Where will the switch be?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have the same problem with mine and my horn also works. I also have a 2001

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had this issue in my 2003 when I put LED bulbs in my brake lights and it worked as soon as I halogen bulbs back in. You may want to make sure you don't have a bulb out and that the bulb is getting the correct voltage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My cruise control stopped working over 1 year ago and I didn't have the time to deal with it.. I have a 2002 XLT and it was (for me) the easiest repair I ever did on a car besides cutting finger nails.
First makes sure that your fuses are not blow... I have no clue where they are because mine worked. Open the hood and remove the idiotic shield
With that gone you see the accelerator cable and right beside it the cruise control cable. I bet it's unhooked or damaged otherwise...
Ran to the Ford Dealer, paid $38 for the harnes coming from the large box on the left sidpassengerger side). Just uses a flat screwdriverver and unhook the plastic trap, twist the dial and unhook the cruise cable... there is a trick to unhook the complete old harness and I just queezed on the right side of the holding tab and the cable gets loose and slides out. Or you just rip it out with large screwdriver
Then you just unhook the cruise cable from the accelerator.
Install is even easier. Take a look at the control box and you see how the cable snaps in, just twist the yowards you and the cable will hook in, let the cable and dial go. I could not figure out how to install the cable in the holding bracket on top of the engine accelerator hooked up there to) until I figured out that the connector just slides left to right and it's all fastened. Next you just hook up the end of the cruise cable in the black nipple and my cruise control was fixed...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry, i stopped looking into this problem, we ended up trading the escape in on the 1st of oct, as the alternator went and it needed new tires.

my wife is happy ecause she got a 2012 escape with the sport package and a bunch of other options on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info, Wiley430
I also have the same problem on my 05 limited.
Will check under the hood tomorrow.

:box:

·
Registered
18 Posts
looked under the hood today and everything seems fine. :confused:
cables are all there and in good condition.
the switch for the brake is also in contact and seems to be fine.

could someone please tell me where is the fuse for the CC ?????

looked in the owner's manual and it doesn't specify a fuse for it. :bang: go figure!

·
Registered
18 Posts
have anyone every try this :bump:

1)Fully engage parking brake. Make sure brake pedal is released.

2)Begin static portion of self-test by pressing and holding speed control OFF switch.

3)Turn ignition switch from OFF to RUN. The CRUISE indicator on the instrument cluster will flash once to indicate the speed control module has entered diagnostic mode. If the CRUISE indicator does not flash repeat Steps 1-3. If the CRUISE indicator still does not flash, diagnose the CRUISE indicator.

4)Release the OFF switch.

5)The CRUISE indicator will flash as each switch is pressed while performing self-test. Press each switch in the order described while observing CRUISE indicator for a flash. Note any switch activation that does not cause a flash. Within 5 seconds of turning the ignition switch to RUN:
Press the ON switch.
Press the RESUME switch.
Press the COAST switch.
Press the SET/ACCEL switch.

6)NOTE: The ON switch must be pressed within 5 seconds after entering diagnostic mode or the speed control module will return to normal operating state and self-test must be repeated

Flash Code Function Tested Possible Cause
0 Speed Control Servo Speed Control Servo Defective
1 Complete System
2 Stop Light Switch Circuitry Stop Light Switch Circuitry
3 Brake Deactivation Circuitry Brake pressure control
valve defective circuitry
4 Vehicle speed sensor Vehicle Speed Sensor Out of
range
5 Speed Control Servo Speed Control servo defective

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem. wiring is ok evrything looks ok. try this start the engine press on button twice or 3 times then drive till 60kmh or 35mph then press set acc twice or 3 times if it works there will be a green light on the lowerleft of the dash it means the cruise is engage. thats how it works in my ford escape 01. Sometimes once twice or 3 times i have to press those button before it works.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts