Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site.
I've looked through the previous postings and found nothing, but thought that I would put the question out there...

Has any one out there customer built a center console for an Escape?
I have a 2003 Escape which currently has the center console completely removed, leaving only the parking brake intact. I plan to build up a new console to allow for the mounting of some 2-way radios and changing the storage area under the armrest from a strange sized, strange shaped catch-all to a nice squared-off area for hanging files and 3-ring binders, for storage of emergency communications docs.
Having no welding experience, my plan is to build the frame and structure of the console out of plywood or MDF and then cover it in either faux-leather or vinyl.

Anyone done anything similar to this?

I'm extremely tempted to venture higher into the dash in an attempt to make additional room, by changing the AM/FM radio out for a smaller format and maybe even change the vents out for something smaller.

Brian

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've heard of people doing this with fiberglass or by forming it from ABS plastic, I have been considering re doing a bit of it from abs plastic, in your case you will just need a solid frame, and lay down some fabric and resin and smooth it out, then you can wrap in vinyl or leather etc, that will all support. Good luck! Anything is possible

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
you could take it to an audio custom shop and talk to them about it, i would build it out of fiberglass then paint it to match.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts