Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got this rental while the Buick is in the body shop. It's a Nissan Rouge. Nice enough but it has this CVT transmission that drives me batty. I'm getting used to it, but I'll never embrace it. It reminds me of when I was driving Pintos in high school and the clutch was going out. :worry:

The wife laughed when she saw it in the driveway...see, the Rouge was actually a front runner in the search for a car for the wifey. I'm so glad we chose the Escape! And so is she. We've had the Rouge four days so far and I look forward to getting in our Escape when I have the chance. It feels so much more attached to the road than the Rouge.

Any how, a quick looksy at the Ford site and the only CVT on there was for Escape Hybrid(?). By comparison the Nissan line-up has the CVT everywhere, even the Maxima.

Any plans that folks are aware of that Ford will put CVT's in more models? I personally hope not.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I don't think Ford is looking to add more CVTs to its lineup. I read that (so far) they can't handle alot of power and it's still a maturing technology. Nissan and (I believe) Audi are the only two manufacturers using this technology for more than a few models. Plus consumers seems to rate them pretty low.

I believe that CVTs are more fuel efficient than either manuals or automatics, and this is the reason for adding them to a Hybrid (or economy minded car, such as the Dodge Caliber series).

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I test drove an Escape Hybrid with the CVT when they first came out and I didn't really notice it. I was surprised because I expected it to annoy me. It didn't. I thought I had read somewhere that Ford wanted to get rid of the CVT in the Escape and replace it with a more conventional trans... I could be wrong. Might have been a dream...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
CVT was available in the Ford Five Hundred. Not exactly a powerhouse at the time. It recieved one mile per gallon better in the highway cycle for the EPA testing. They didn't fly of the lots either. Ford ditched them after a couple of years. I think they were made by a Japanese manufacturer...I never liked it either.

I did rent one in a Fiat back in 1988. Real PITA for noise. Roared all the way down the road. I cussed every mile in that car because of the tranny. :rant:

End of Rant!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I was thinking about starting a thread about CVT's the other day and how they arent for me :lol:

There is a car at work that has a CVT. A Mitsubishi Colt with a 1.5 engine. I really can't stand driving it. It gets great fuel economy (better then our manual version) and is quicker then the manual too. The only thing I like about it is how it delivers the power.

If you put your foot down the revs will quickly climb to 6500rpm and stay there all the way to 65mph. So the engine is always putting out max power. It feels really weird at first but you do get used to it.

I also know exactly what you mean Futameca, it does feel like a slippy clutch :doh:

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
I had it in my Escape Hybrid for three years and loved it. I never had any intention to tow with it so that didn't matter. I really liked the seamless acceleration and it had the same pep as the V-6 Escape.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I also have no major qualms with the CVT in our Escape Hybrid.

Yes, it does get a bit revved-up at times... press down on the accelerator and the revs definitely climb. Leave the cruise control on through the mountains and you'll have the same experience.

However, compared to "rowing" a manual Mazda RX-7 around our hilly city it's a smooth, pleasant drive.

Of course, nothing beats a '64 Valiant with push-button gear selector on the left side of the dash controlling the legendary Torqueflite 6 tranny hooked up to the leaning tower of power (rated at 101 horsepower).

:rockon:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts