Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, all!
2008 Mariner V6 3.0 195k mi. Started running just noticably rough the last 30-40 miles;
(I was 20 miles from home when I first noticed it) when driving, you can feel some occasional 'pulsing' (as if car is momentarily hitting resistance, and then released, but no vibration in the steering, or brake pedal, or brake disc noise, like when I got a pebble in my pad...
Trying to not use it: about 10 miles ago, the "Check Engine" lit up;
SO, I limped it over to my nearby Autozone, and got the guy to pull codes off it: he said "misfire on 4" and gave me a print out...
So I have been researching...found a YT video on FordTechMakuLoco channel, which indicated an uncommon high-mileage fault, where the bolts holding the cam-shaft caps on can loosen (which can then lead to some breaking, if you don't correct the problem), which means valves don't get actuated quite properly...until it gets worse!
The YT guy said this was occasionally cropping up (and overheating seems to be a factor), on mid-to high mileage engines on 2001-2007 engines, as if they changed something later...but, the video is a couple years old; maybe this is now happening on the later year V6 engines, like mine...?

If this were happening on mine, the minimum recommended fix is to buy 16 new bolts, pull the valve cover, and replace the cam-caps on the whole bank.

Obviously, it could be any one of several other things like bad plug, bad wiring, bad coil, bad head gasket (ugh!), bad fuel pump...or a bad sensor (choice of 3, I think), although, maybe, some of that might cause more uniform behavior problems than what I am seeing...which does seem to change as engine warms up.

Just looking for any additional insight/info' on diagnosing this further, because it's below freezing outside, and trying to be efficient out there!

TIA!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I would suspect an ignition (plug, coil, PCM) issue before a mechanical issue. With cylinder 4 being in the front and easy access, I would investigate the coil and plug first, as you don't need to remove the intake to get to them. Check for oil or fluid in the bore, the boot being torn or cracked, the connector the coil, the plug worn out, swap them around and see if the fault follows the coil, check the injector connection.

Reactions: Captain Chris

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I did not read of any tappy-tap-tap occurring, which I think you would get with a cam cap wobbling around and letting the cam orbit in its holder.
If you have not done so, check for any OBD-II codes and base actions on that. If none, check fuel flow and pressure. Pressure alone does not indicate if it can flow the volume needed to run the engine. Take a look at the MAF wires as it is possible some 'schmutz' got onto the wire(s) and is fooling the ECM re air volme incoming.
tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts