Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JP, or anyone have any idea how to remove the part of the dash that covers the passenger airbag? I want to get this wrapped in suede to match my seats but cant seem to find a way to get it off. Is it just pulling the upper part of the dash up or are there some screws that I am missing somewhere?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The passenger airbag cover on a 2008 or newer Escape is secured with tabs along the top and right edges. Open the glove box and reach up to the inside of the airbag cover to release the tabs.

Before you remove any airbag, you should discharge the system, just to make sure the something doesn't deploy while you're trying to remove it.

1) Turn off all accessories.

2) Turn the ignition off.

3) Remove fuse #32 from the interior fuse box on the right front side of the center console. It's a 10A fuse.

4) Turn the ignition to ON. The airbag warning light should light and stay lit for more than 30 seconds (if not, the wrong fuse was removed).

5) Turn the ignition off.

6) Disconnect the battery ground cable and leave it disconnected. Wait at least one minute before working on the airbag system.

When you're done, and all airbags are reconnected:

1) Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON.

2) Reinstall fuse #32 (10A) to the interior fuse box. Make sure no one is in the vehicle and there is nothing blocking or placed in front of any air bag module when the battery is connected. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

3) Reconnect the battery ground cable.

4) Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF. Wait 10 seconds, then turn the key back to ON and visually monitor the air bag warning indicator with the air bag modules installed. The air bag warning indicator will light continuously for approximately 6 seconds and then turn off.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I follow these steps one by one, and are very careful, what are my chances of the airbag deploying? Not as afraid of deploying during the process of disconnecting as I am when the fuse is reinstalled and batteyr reconnectd. Also, when I take this panel off, is the airbag attached to it or just hidden behind it?
THanks

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If you follow those instructions, the airbags won't deploy.

I think that the airbag is actually part of the cover. The "seam" on the front of the cover is where the plastic separates when (if) the bag deploys.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
It just maybe my paranoia, but I think he also has to mimic the split seam on the cover to ensure proper deployment on whatever he covers it. I read that somewhere. Maybe in the owners manual on one of my cars? Nah! Could be something on Speed channel. :shrug:

·
Registered
33 Posts
jonas1022 said:
It just maybe my paranoia, but I think he also has to mimic the split seam on the cover to ensure proper deployment on whatever he covers it. I read that somewhere. Maybe in the owners manual on one of my cars? Nah! Could be something on Speed channel. :shrug:
You're right. I remember it was something to do with the bag deploying "malformed" or too slow?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**update**
shop is just going to dye this part instead of wrap so it doesnt even need to be removed. He is just going to tape off everything and than do his thing. Gettin it done January 20th so I will get pics up.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

Good thing jonas mentioned the seam on the new cover, because I meant to say that, but didn't. It doesn't matter now anyway.

:D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is the final product if you didnt see it in interior mods!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts