Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a double din aftermarket stereo that I want to install in my 2010 Escape with Sync.

I bought the MS-FRD1 module to keep the sync functionality and now I just need the dash kit.

I found this one, but the holes at the bottom aren't designed for an Escape with Sync. The holes are for an Escape with the base radio without Sync. Has anyone upgraded their radio with Sync? Where did you get a dash kit that fit?

p://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FD1436B-Merc ... =pd_cp_e_0

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
ed3120 said:
I have a double din aftermarket stereo that I want to install in my 2010 Escape with Sync.

I bought the MS-FRD1 module to keep the sync functionality and now I just need the dash kit.

I found this one, but the holes at the bottom aren't designed for an Escape with Sync. The holes are for an Escape with the base radio without Sync. Has anyone upgraded their radio with Sync? Where did you get a dash kit that fit?

The two players are METRA and Scosche,...that's it. BTW link fail...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sync has nothing to do with the new bezel. The Sync module is located in the center console next to the gear shifter. The one you selected is the correct one for a double din aftermarket HU. The holes at the bottom of the new bezel are for the heat/AC controls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked and the part that goes around the USB port and Line In Jack, etc is actually a separate piece from the replacement bezel. You just take that piece off, attach the new bezel and then put that piece back on. The same Scosche bezel will indeed work for both Sync and Non Sync systems.

·
Registered
501 Posts
ed3120 said:

Where did you get this module? Sync continues to function perfectly? i'm interested in changing my stock HU, but I've been afraid it might interfere with Sync.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks for the links! :thumb:
But i got confused, you have to have another panel? the Pac one?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The PAC module is not a panel. It's the electronics to make it all work.

The Scosche panel is the only piece of plastic that you need to make the stereo fit your dash. The PAC module is the behind the scenes piece.

If you are interested in using your steering wheel controls to control your aftermarket radio, you may also want these modules. There are two different ones depending on the brand of aftermarket stereo you are looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SWIJACK-Steer ... 491&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SWI-PS-Pionee ... 549&sr=1-1

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
And the black one in a Tribute

I was not pleased with the fit of the Bezel piece. It is quite floppy

Its an off-camber picture, but this is "before"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fourthmeal said:
Is that the Scosche or the Metra bezel that you aren't happy with?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
ed3120 said:
fourthmeal said:
Is that the Scosche or the Metra bezel that you aren't happy with?
Metra. Scosche may have issues as well though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you say floppy, do you mean it fits properly, but it's just flimsy and bendable?

I just started putting all my wires together, but I didn't start the actual install yet. Did you end up needing to cut the brown or purple wire loop on the steering wheel control module? I was confused as to what to do, as I want my headunit to mute when Sync needs to interrupt the audio, not turn off completely.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
ed3120 said:
When you say floppy, do you mean it fits properly, but it's just flimsy and bendable?

I just started putting all my wires together, but I didn't start the actual install yet. Did you end up needing to cut the brown or purple wire loop on the steering wheel control module? I was confused as to what to do, as I want my headunit to mute when Sync needs to interrupt the audio, not turn off completely.
A few thoughts:

The bezel (the little plastic ring around the HU) is floppy and doesn't stick to the dash very well. Also, the Metra kit and my Pioneer F900BT simply doesn't mix well due to the weight of the unit and the flimsy plastic. When driving on rough roads, that dash kit shudders and shakes. Oh well,..there is literally no other option except perhaps to stiffen it up with fiberglass or something, from the underside. I don't have SYNC therefore my wiring is different than yours...but others have done work there and might have things to add.

·
Registered
67 Posts
sinister mob said:
PAC with SWI:

Metra Bezel:

The Fun:

The Result:

:D
Do you have any tips for taking out the air vents and the lower area under the stereo with the usbport and cigar lighter...i have read that you should just pull straight out but when I do...i feel like it is going to break and there is nothing to get a grip on when pulling it. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
for the top peice I used to pull from the top peice, where in your pic you have the final product and you can see the "SYNC 124" I grab that top silver peice and dig my fingers in and pull out. There is no easier way than that, its fairly easy. I wont break. NOW for the bottom peice where the cigarette lighter is at I open the rubber peice that protects the hole to the lighter stick my thumb in there and pull straight out. Dont stick your thumb in so far that you make contact with the + (the bottom of the barrel).

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK...i got my stereo in today and unpacked everything. I have the Scosche dash kit...but the dvd player i bought doesnt fit the Scosche dask kit. The stereo is too big and wont slide through it. Did you have to trim your dask kit any? It looks like your dash kit is a little different than mine. My stereo came 2 different trim pieces to place around the radio after attached to the dash kit..but neither ring will fit the Scosche dask kit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts