Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now it's cooled off again, my dash ticking is back. First, anyone here have a tapping noise from the dash area, not related to fan speed, can even occor with HVAC off!

I have a feeling it's the blend door, as it was gone all summer long (cold HVAC settings), and I made it stop once by turning the temp down to max/65.

Just wondering if any regualr Escapes have a similar noise, if so what you did to fix it. It seems over on GH several of us have a noise, not sure if it's the same problems with all of us tho.
After reading about Blend door problems on the Expy/Navigators, and how labor intensive they are to fix (Either rip out entire dash or hack into pieces from the floor up) I hope it's not the blend door, as I'm afraid the fix would lead to more rattles & noises.

I made a cell video recording, it's the tapping noise you hear:
http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/oo12 ... hnoise.flv

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Could be an electrical connector touching something...bump, bump, bump. Instead of hearing the bump, your hearing the tick, tick, tick?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be, but the noise is intermittent, not always there; but when the noise is pesent it's steady, fan speed does not change pace of the tick tick.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
What is the setting on your HVAC temperature control. Try it in the full cold position. Could it be coolant cirulating through the heater core and hoses? The temperature controller would have to be in a more than full cold setting, at least partially warm, but not full hot.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My underdash noise comes from a loose antenna mount. Made a clicking noise when moving or when the wind blows it around. Sounds like its under the airbox.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mine always gets a rattle in/behind(?) the instrument cluster area and extra squeaks when the temp gets colder. Just noticed it on the way in tonight.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it's not the antenna, it stops when the ignition is cut.

I think I need to take it to the dealer, on the way to school this am, running full deforst, it acted like a power drain for a split second 3 times. Headlights dimmed, fan slowed down.
And it was only 38, can't wait for it to get cold again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts