Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one taken apart the dash pieces under the radio? i want to mount 2 110V plugs in the hole beside my rear defrost button. i was planing on removing the small section, then fiberglassing the hole, painting the small section black, mounting the plugs and then reinstalling it. is the small cubbie hole and switch piece separate of the large section of plastic??

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It's one single piece that pops out. The easiest way I have found is to stick my thumb in the cigar lighter outlet and pull out that way. You may have to unclip the temperature control cable from behind the glove box if you cannot pull the trim away enough to unscrew the climate control panel.

Place a rag across the bottom of opening to protect the vinyl from three nasty metal clips on the bottom of the trim piece.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cool. does anyone think they could get me a used one color grey?? cause the junk yard here wants $50 for one. even if i take it off myself. i need one with the 4x4 switch. if it has the holes for the nave buttons it doesnt matter cause thats gonna get fiberglassed in.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I always make sure the ignition is on when I stick my thumb in the cigarette lighter hole. The resulting shock forces the muscles to contract just that much more and applies extra emphasis on the panel removal process. :bill:

Note the above technical advise should not followed as it is a joke.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey AJAX. THANKS FOR THE PIC (i stole this out of the interior section)

this is what i want my end result to be, but i also want to be able to put my escape back to stock

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
CrashNburn said:
hey AJAX. THANKS FOR THE PIC (i stole this out of the interior section)

this is what i want my end result to be, but i also want to be able to put my escape back to stock

If you do this, please post pics...this would be an EXCELLENT mod that I would love to do myself!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont worry scott, i will take pics and even maybe do a nice little write up. the only purchase i need to make is the fiberglass and i have yet to decide if im going to run the inverter to the battery and run a relay. or just wire it behind the dash to the cigarette lighter plug. actually im going to change the wires on the power plug and cigarette lighter plug as well, because ford wisdom made it so that i need my key on to use my lighter but my power plug has power 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I've actually thought of doing this Mod as well in mine. I was thinking about putting it in a place a little more hidden though like down by where the fuse box is on the center console down by the floor-board.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i thought about making it hidden as well, but i figured the only thing i have ever put in the little storage hole is my smoke LoL

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
CrashNburn said:
i thought about making it hidden as well, but i figured the only thing i have ever put in the little storage hole is my smoke LoL
Which I recently quit so I don't need it...although I used it for my garage door opener right now...just waiting on JP or someone to answer my thread in Electrical Mods so I can eliminate it :)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
That's the thing - you don't know about it until the first time you scratch everything up. :rant:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Squishy said:
That's the thing - you don't know about it until the first time you scratch everything up. :rant:
and then you log onto escape city and viola, people are saved from doing unwanted and unneeded damage! thanks City!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Yeah my dash is scratched to all get out.... :cuss:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
sooo...what happened to this mod crash?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i gave up on it. i bought a house so i have no time for fun.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
CrashNburn said:
:lol:

Does this mean that you have a "honey do" list now ? :D Don't worry, it will get easier !! :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
CrashNburn said:
:lol: There is always time for fun...let me know when you get started on this :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol, if you seen what i posted the other day, this escape is gonna keep me busy just keeping it running, i think i will relook into this mod in teh spring.

and ya i got a honey do list. and its bigger then santa claus' good kid list.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:shock:

Can the honey do list be outsourced?

:lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts