Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So another off topic question, 'cause y'all are so smart!

So helping Sis-in-law convert a school bus to a tailgating bus. I just installed her mega DC to AC inverter (2500-5000W). And it seems to work fine, turned on the mini fridge and it started humming, and the TV turned on. Then I started wiring up the speakers to the 'old' home stereo/av reciever. It turns on, seems to work just fine, excpet there's no sound!!?? So plug in a headphone, still nothing. So now I'm frustrated cause it was a pain hiding all the wires. Pull it out, take it into the garage to bech test it, check fuses, and it turns on and headphones are working just fine!

Put it back in the bus, and no sound?! :confused: I pluged in one of those outlet checkers (has 3 lights, tells you if a plug is wored properly) and it says it is OK, it's also putting out 114VAC on a multi meter.

Only thing that comes to mind is the 'ground'. The invertes has a Pos & Neg that I ran under the bus and screwed to lugs, but there is a 'ground' screw also. Currently it's not connected to anything, I guess I could jumper it to the Neg post, since that goes to a bolt on the engine block (also where the batt neg wire runs to). If I recall the instructions said something about the Neg & Netural being tied togather inside the inverter.

The stereo only has a 2 prong plug, not a 3.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
2500 watts run, 5000 watts surge. Check the data plate on the frig. My bet is that with the frig and TV on you have maxed. or almost maxed the inverter and it can't take the load from the stereo. In other words, you're showing voltage, but not current.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
To expand on WeeBee's post... What are the amperage ratings of the appliances you are connecting and what is the limit of the inverter? The ratings should be on a plate on the back of the appliances. Items like refrigerators A/C units & laser printers can use a lot of amperage. Older tube TV's use more than new flat screen TV's. Radios don't use much. Add up the ratungs of the appliances and check them against the limit of the interter. If the 2 numbers are close, that might be your problem...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry, everything else is turned off, so it's just the inverter & stereo on at this time.
Sould I try a wire between the ground screw on the stereo & the inverter?

As for the inverter is actually a 5000W (10k surge) IF I connect 2 sets of wires to a power source, or 1/2 that with one set wich is the current configuration, I don't see how I can tap another thick cable to the same sources I have it on now. Unless you have a suggestion on that too, a way to converty a battery terminal to a terminal AND a screw/bolt at the same time.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I don't know if this would cause the speakers not to work, but some devices are picky about the power they receive, and most Inverters (that the average person can afford) produce a modified sine wave that could interfere with certain devices. Seems to me the speakers would work and just sound bad if that was the case, but I'm no electrician.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Airmapper said:
I don't know if this would cause the speakers not to work, but some devices are picky about the power they receive, and most Inverters (that the average person can afford) produce a modified sine wave that could interfere with certain devices. Seems to me the speakers would work and just sound bad if that was the case, but I'm no electrician.
Ok I got the book out, it is a modified sine wave. The trouble shooting section mentions 'cheap' radios [boomboxes] might buzz, on the inverter - solution - buy a better quality radio :lol: :hyst:

But based on that, it sounds like it sould work, just sound like crap, but there's no audio on output A, B or headphones! :wall: :confused:

Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
RobtRoma said:
To expand on WeeBee's post... What are the amperage ratings of the appliances you are connecting and what is the limit of the inverter? The ratings should be on a plate on the back of the appliances. Items like refrigerators A/C units & laser printers can use a lot of amperage. Older tube TV's use more than new flat screen TV's. Radios don't use much. Add up the ratungs of the appliances and check them against the limit of the interter. If the 2 numbers are close, that might be your problem...
What he said! Thanks, I wasn't awake when I answered this.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't think it the Amps. or watts, nothing else plugged into the inverter, and still no sound, or even buzzing/humming.

I'll try to tinker with it later, and get the reciver info so I can searh it and see what it says.

I forogt all about the bus's website! http://rufriderbus.com/

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well mystery solved??? Or at least circumvented ;)

The receiver in the bus was a Pioneer something, so I ran an ext cord from the inverter to the Yamaha someting audio/video receiver I have hooked up in the garage, and it worked fine!

So I spend 1/2 hour swaping cables, take it to the bus, then looking for something else I find a Realistic collecting dust in a corner, and it too worked fin on the inverter! :mad:

Oh well, at least both garage & bus now have tunes!

I took a kill-a-watt to the bus, and with TV & stereo on only pulled like 125W (old tube 25" TV) didn't flip the fridge on too, but think it'll stay under 2500W total! Probably even have room for a crock pot or microwave.

Just watched blind side, so now ready for some football!

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Glad you got it resolved! Have fun tailgating :thumb: :beer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts