Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with my Ford dealer about having the transmission fluid and filter changed in our vehicle. It has ~30k miles. They say they don't drop the pan and filter anymore, they only do flushes and it's $130. I have heard that flushing a transmission can damage it, and to only drop the pan to change out the fluid. Is the dealer right or should I tell them to go :censor: themselves?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
This sounds sketchy. Unless there's a leak, I'm pretty sure you only need one at the 100,000 mile intervals. That's what my service advisor mentioned once. Other websites are suggesting 60,000 though. What's your current service interval?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I dont see why so soon. I would go for 60K or 120K. But there will be rebutle on this TO FLUSH OR NOT TO FLUSH. But yes I would later.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've heard of (but never had done) about shops siphoning the old fluid from the dipstick/fill tube.

The crud at the bottom of the pan is actually what the technician should be inspecting (metal shavings, sludge, whatever) so they can tell if there is a problem (or impending problem) with the transmission.

Second is there should be a magnet at the bottom of the pan that collects the metal shavings. This should be cleaned off so the next fluid change will show only new shavings, not the ones accumulated over an extended period of time. This will give a more accurate condition of the wear on the tranny.

If you really want to change all of the trans fluid, the torque converter should be drained as well, but that's more involved and all the places I've talked to about this say they don't bother going that far. They just drain what's in the pan.

There' varying opinions about when to swap out the fluids. I would go with what the Warranty Schedule says.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm from the Pittsburgh area as well, and when I bought my Escape, they said you should treat driving in Pittsburgh as severe driving conditions (lots of hills, stop and go driving, and drastic season changes). With severe conditions, Ford does recommend changing AT fluid at 30k. I'm sure most dealers in Pittsburgh are working under this assumption.

Don't know if it is 100% necessary to get it changed that quick, but I guess a lot of it depends on how and where you drive.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I recently had a tranny flush at 56k...a hose was cracked (see "
was going to do a tranny fluid change and found this..." ) in Tailgate Chat
It helped "soften" its hard shifting quite a bit and made it much smoother overall. but i still gave to give it gas every time i want to move in reverse.
I drive in LOTS of stop-n-go traffic and would classify that as "severe". Most driving is under moderate to severe anyway.
Its adviseable to do a basic "dump and fill" of tranny oil every 3rd oil change, i will do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.