Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My escape was due for an oil change and I normally would have taken it to my former employer's shop, but, the rear backing sensor wasnt working so I took it to the dealer. I got "the works" oil change which included tire rotation and a $10 rebate. The dealer called me and said they found a nail in my tire and wanted to know if I wanted it fixed..sure I said. They called me back to let me know that my backup sensor problem was a bad sensor. They said that it would be $240 so I passed on that fix. While I was waiting to pick up the escape the guy in front of me was telling the service manager that he will never be back because there have been too many questionable repairs and the prices where too high. I got the impression this guy has had good and bad service here but he has had enough at this point. I have been to this dealership twice before and the first time was great. I bought a front license plate holder and they installed it for free. I was very pleased. The second time was to figure out a problem with the aftermarket mirror with compass n temp and had to pay $50 dollars for there time with no fix. Thats not to bad as I know that they cant work for free. So, back to the present. I went up front to pay my bill and it was $156, I expected less than $100.

Diagnostic fee for rear backing sensor problem = $71.00 that seems high but I can deal with it

tire repair = $28.00 are u kiddin me? $28 to repair a tire? I just had a tire fixed on my company truck and the tire place charged $17.70, that even seems high but $28 is unbelievable.

I found a back-up sensor online for $50 plus shipping, should be an easy fix, I hope the dealer's diagnosis was correct. I'm done ranting now. Dang, I hope I can stay away from the dealer as much as possible.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I also have had good and bad (mostly bad) experiences at dealerships, they aren't called stealerships for nuthin'!!! :roll:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
It was often hit and miss for the nearby Chevrolet dealership that I had my ex-girlfriend's Malibu serviced at... and then after I bought my car from a Ford dealership miles away, I found out the two dealerships are owned by the same management group that owns several dealerships in the area.

Good thing they have different attitudes though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Like any repair shop, dealers are good and bad. Some are good all around, some are good in the sales end (like where I got mine) but horrid in service, others are awful in the sales end but great for parts and service (like where I get mine serviced). Shop around, dealers aren't all stealerships. And yes, I worked for many years in automotive service, both in dealers and aftermarket chain shops. Generally the biggest thieves out there are the chain shops who replace everything under the sun just to avoid a comeback.

A good independent guy is worth his weight in gold, but unfortunately many modern cars simply have to return to the dealer for highly specialized diagnostics. Those independent guys just can't keep up with the technology and training manufacturers provide to the dealers

·
Registered
482 Posts
I do a lot of the regular maintenance myself. I used to do a lot more of it, but sometimes I just get lazy and take it to my independent mechanic. I take my Escape to the dealership where I bought it from cause the guy who sold it to me threw in 4 years worth of FREE oil changes. When that's finished, I'll do it myself.

Yeah, it's tough to find a good reliable dealership mechanic.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I'm not a fan of dealers either. I haven't had any Escape problems I can't handle so no issues there. For my Volkswagen I found a garage specializing in VW and they're very knowledgable and friendly so I don't mind paying for that. Good luck with your sensor!

·
Registered
294 Posts
kmoose said:
Like any repair shop, dealers are good and bad. Some are good all around, some are good in the sales end (like where I got mine) but horrid in service, others are awful in the sales end but great for parts and service (like where I get mine serviced). Shop around, dealers aren't all stealerships. And yes, I worked for many years in automotive service, both in dealers and aftermarket chain shops. Generally the biggest thieves out there are the chain shops who replace everything under the sun just to avoid a comeback.

A good independent guy is worth his weight in gold, but unfortunately many modern cars simply have to return to the dealer for highly specialized diagnostics. Those independent guys just can't keep up with the technology and training manufacturers provide to the dealers
I couldnt have said it better myself...
The dealer i deal with here is really good in the sales dept (heck, my fam wouldnt have bought in total of 7 vehicles from there in the last 20 years if they werent) but is slowly getting better at service, it's excellent in the parts dept. Since i still have full warranty on my 'scape ill be going there mostly and i have 5 free oil changes also from there. But after the warranty is up ill be going to my local shop for everything non-computer i cant fix (for computer probs, i go to the dealer, the other shops here dont have the diag. equipment)

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I stick with CarMax, where I bought Ean. He is also under warranty with them. They will diagnosed pretty much for free. I tell them the issue and they figure it out. That happened a couple of times and each time I didn't pay anything for them figuring out the issue. They can be a bit pricey so Rebecca my awesome service dept lady will let me know if I should go elsewhere. Also this is an advantage because I know the issue first-hand and I can find a good price and not be suckered into them to me I have other issues when I don't. I also found for an oil change CarMax is currently the cheapest and they give Ean a bath! Woo! Good stuff! :thumb: :yahoo: :yes:

·
Registered
324 Posts
When I purchased my Pontiac Vibe back in 2004, the dealership in Omaha I bought it from was awesome and their service department was top notch. :thumb: I had a few questionable issues with my new Vibe and they were more than helpful in fixing any issues I had and on a few occasions they did not charge me for simple problems. All in all, that dealership got numerous good marks on their service department because the owner knew the value in good service and that if their service department was top notch, their customers would continue to go back to them for any issues. Now when I moved to Maryland, the GM dealership I used for service were not as helpful but I did not have any issues with pricing or phantom problems that needed to be fixed. Most of the time I shop around, look up service departments online. I have no problems driving an hour to get to a good service department.

So far, with Tatsu, the German Ford Dealership hasnt given me any bad vibes but with the language barrier and the fact that they dont carry parts for my lil Tatsu, its been difficult. My only issue is how hard Ford makes it to purchase accessories when you dont have access to a stateside Ford Dealership.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I went from a horrid VW dealer to a sensational Ford dealer in my transition of vehicles. Long story short, I had a 2002 VW Passatt 1.8T that had oil sludge - which is a known defect covered by Audi. They extended the repair for 8 years unlimited mileage since the 1.8T is an Audi engine. My oil light came on intermittenly for a day and then while driving home the engine died. Towed it to my mechanic (as the new vehicle warranty was done) and he said that the top half of the engine was dry - no oil and everything ground up on the top of the engine plus the turbo. I found out about the extended warranty and started a claim with VWoA and my dealer. Then I towed the vehicle to the dealer as they had to do an inspection.

My dealer was useless and offered no help in the matter. I dealt directly with VWoA by phone and e-mails. They said I needed proof of all of my oil changes to be covered. I had about 75% of my receipts from the dealer, Jiffy Lube and Valvoline. The rest of the receipts my mechanic had since he did some of the oil changes. I sent in all of the receipts to the dealer and they questioned the mechanic "ability". They had to investigate my mechanic to make sure he was a legit repair person - which he is. They went to repair the engine and it would not start. Turns out since the entire engine was dead, they decided not to honor the warranty. They said the lack of oil was not the cause of engine failure. REALLY? No oil is not the cause? What the %^&* else could it be?

Then they tried to charge me the $200 inspection fee. Let me just say that I let everyone in that dealership knew how badly they screwed me. I even went into the dealership owner's office and specifically let him have it right to his face. Then proceeded to the service manager and anyone in earshot. I called AAA, grabbed the car and sold it privately. I called VWoA back and gave them my $0.02 and noted that they lost a dedicated, life long VW owner and everyone I know will never buy another one.

On the flip side my Ford dealer has been tremendous. It proves that there are really scumbag dealerships and terrific ones out there. Search around and find one you like.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update...sensor arrived and i installed it in less than 5 mins....$60 with shippng $70 diagnostic from ford and 5 mins of my time, thats not too bad i guess, now i get to here beeping again... :yahoo: will prolly turn it off in most instances... :shrug: at least its available to use now.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
mr hammond said:
update...sensor arrived and i installed it in less than 5 mins....$60 with shippng $70 diagnostic from ford and 5 mins of my time, thats not too bad i guess, now i get to here beeping again... :yahoo: will prolly turn it off in most instances... :shrug: at least its available to use now.
Think about the $$$ you saved in labor!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeh, they would have killed me in labor costs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
sinister mob said:
On the flip side my Ford dealer has been tremendous. It proves that there are really scumbag dealerships and terrific ones out there. Search around and find one you like.
I second that :)P

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Speaking of dealers, my friends mother and grandmother went to the Ford dealer I bought my Escape from, and worked out a cash deal for a new Focus for granny. The mother left for another engagement after the deal was hammered out but before the final paperwork was signed. When she went to grannys house to work on her checkbook a week later, the check granny wrote for the car was not $16,200 like they agreed on but $19,400! They went back to the dealer, they added any fee or service they could think of to get that extra $3200- service plans, "underbody coatings", etc! They threatened lawyers, the dealer wouldn't budge until they had walked out and started the car then the manager finally intercepted them, brought them in and wrote a check for $3200.
I personally feel that sales team should rot in Hell for stealing money from a 70 year old woman. :horse:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Ajax said:
Speaking of dealers, my friends mother and grandmother went to the Ford dealer I bought my Escape from, and worked out a cash deal for a new Focus for granny. The mother left for another engagement after the deal was hammered out but before the final paperwork was signed. When she went to grannys house to work on her checkbook a week later, the check granny wrote for the car was not $16,200 like they agreed on but $19,400! They went back to the dealer, they added any fee or service they could think of to get that extra $3200- service plans, "underbody coatings", etc! They threatened lawyers, the dealer wouldn't budge until they had walked out and started the car then the manager finally intercepted them, brought them in and wrote a check for $3200.
I personally feel that sales team should rot in Hell for stealing money from a 70 year old woman. :horse:
I agree!

Post the name of the stealership. We should all know who that was. :box:

"Forewarned is forearmed."

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
sinister mob said:
I went from a horrid VW dealer to a sensational Ford dealer in my transition of vehicles. Long story short, I had a 2002 VW Passatt 1.8T that had oil sludge - which is a known defect covered by Audi. They extended the repair for 8 years unlimited mileage since the 1.8T is an Audi engine. My oil light came on intermittenly for a day and then while driving home the engine died. Towed it to my mechanic (as the new vehicle warranty was done) and he said that the top half of the engine was dry - no oil and everything ground up on the top of the engine plus the turbo. I found out about the extended warranty and started a claim with VWoA and my dealer. Then I towed the vehicle to the dealer as they had to do an inspection.

My dealer was useless and offered no help in the matter. I dealt directly with VWoA by phone and e-mails. They said I needed proof of all of my oil changes to be covered. I had about 75% of my receipts from the dealer, Jiffy Lube and Valvoline. The rest of the receipts my mechanic had since he did some of the oil changes. I sent in all of the receipts to the dealer and they questioned the mechanic "ability". They had to investigate my mechanic to make sure he was a legit repair person - which he is. They went to repair the engine and it would not start. Turns out since the entire engine was dead, they decided not to honor the warranty. They said the lack of oil was not the cause of engine failure. REALLY? No oil is not the cause? What the %^&* else could it be?

Then they tried to charge me the $200 inspection fee. Let me just say that I let everyone in that dealership knew how badly they screwed me. I even went into the dealership owner's office and specifically let him have it right to his face. Then proceeded to the service manager and anyone in earshot. I called AAA, grabbed the car and sold it privately. I called VWoA back and gave them my $0.02 and noted that they lost a dedicated, life long VW owner and everyone I know will never buy another one.

Just like I posted above, you should name the dealership that gave you good/great service. One good turn deserves another. So to speak.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Ajax said:
Wow they are lucky that wasn't my gma. I would have raised you know what haha. And they would have been sorry. I can be a scary beast when I need to be! :shock: :box: :lightning:

·
Registered
836 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Just like I posted above, you should name the dealership that gave you good/great service. One good turn deserves another. So to speak.
Good point.

Sucky VW stealership: Speedcraft VW in Wakefield, RI. :censor:

Awesome Ford dealership: Tasca Ford/Lincoln/Mercury in Cranston, RI (also in Seekonk, MA). :thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts