Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:stop: heads up to anyone shopping for a computer... i just went through 3 weeks with out my dell computer.....the reason the hard drive died. The dell was just less that a year old. The only tech support info that i had was support.dell.com, which does you no good with out a computer. I had to goto my neighbors computer to get a tech support phone#. Then I had to spend hours upon hours (one night was like over 4 hours) on hold with dell and talking with india..for them to fix the problem. There solution refurbished parts. (not new)..which where bad. 3 hard drives before I got one that worked. then I discovered the mother board was bad too (probally the root cause). It took 2 mother boards before I got one that worked. I wanted to post to let everyone know dell isn't what they use to be...I'm done with dell.....when its time to get a new computer I will go with apple most likely

:cuss:
:censor:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just incase no one ever knew, Dell does, and always has used parts from the lowest bidder. You get what you pay for. Most of the time its better to build one from scratch. And its alot easier than one would think.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Wow... sorry to hear you had such a hard time. I've heard a few horror stories but I've never had any major issues with them.

The motherboard died on my Vostro 1700 laptop at the beginning of the year on a Sunday. I called them and within 5 minutes I was talking to a technician. She quickly reached the same conclusion since the computer was completely dead. I purchased the laptop through my office account and I have the 4 year, next business day, in home warranty. I got a call from the technician the next day to set up an appointment to have it fixed. It took him about 20 minutes to do the change and test things out. I was up and running again 2 days after it died.

I do have a friend that's had a problem with them recently. He thinks a Windows update caused a bunch of software on his new PC (including his Autocad software) to stop working. He called Dell to see if they could help. First they put him through to hardware support. They couldn't find anything wrong so they transferred him to software support. They wouldn't help unless he paid. Reluctantly, he paid for one time support. They tried to connect to his PC remotely but the program that allows that was damaged as well. They said he had to do a complete system restore so the hard drive would basically be wiped out and restored to as it was when it was new. He didn't want to lose the information he had on the computer so before doing that, he went out and got an exterior hard drive and backed everything up. Last I talked to him he was in the process of backing up. I still don't know if the system restore worked. I need to call him. He was really upset that he had to pay for the software support on a PC that is less than 2 months old and they didn't really help. I can't blame him...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
--Our first Dell died six mos. ago, but it was eight years old.
Still have a 4300 dimension, that is now six. Guess I better start backing up
my stuff.
Replaced the 4100 with this HP Pavilion, duel core pentium.
So far so good.
Never had problems with their tech support while the Dell was under warrenty,
they even came out to the house to replace the gforce video card that died.
But that was then, and things change I guess.
(believe it or not, the best tech support I got was with an original e-machine.
They actually paid for shipping, had it picked up, fixed it, and sent it back. I had bought a 3 year warrenty from them back then for $65 and got my money's worth.
Still have the little bugger, it works fine but only has 3.5 gigs. Good for
playing old games and dos games)

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I thought Dell was suppose be the best however no I think my next one will be something else Thanks for the advice :shades:

·
Super Moderator
4,737 Posts
Never had a problem with Dell. The wait for phone support sometimes takes awhile but they've always came through fine. I like there on line support. But, you need another computer if the one you're having problems with is dead. No problem here though with 4 laptops and three desk tops on the net.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We've had problems with dell aswell, We kept getting the blue screen of death multiple times a day.

My dad called and got some foreign people that cant speak english. After probably 6 calls, they did nothing so then we sent them a letter saying if they dont do something about the problem, that everyone will soon hear about dell's reliability problems.

After recieving this email, they upgraded from a 120gb hdd to a 160gb, gave us 1 gb of ram, and a new (or was at the time) 1000$ processor P4 extreme edition HT 3.2ghz.

This was a few years ago, Currently still using this computer now, and it's pretty stable, we still get the blue screen mabye 4 times a year, if that. but If I was to get myself a new computer, i'd build one myself.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I never owned a Dell. I am on one now at work, an Optiplex GX620. Not a bad box, it does bog down and has had a memory upgrade or two. The slowdowns I blame on the agency I work for loading lots of spyware, and virus protection into the system, the LAN, and the box. Nothing to do with the Dell, it just is there.

At home I have a homebuilt P4 with a small harddrive and not alot of RAM, but then I stay away from graphics, pictures and the like. I have owned eMachines without problem, I don't have them any longer as I upgraded a couple of times since the last millenium. Before that I had Compaq and HP without any drama, but they were US built machines...

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I use, toshibas with no problems. :)

##

Have used early model,compaq presario laptops in the past.

Both models had floppy drive issues. :censor:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
We have some IBM P3 something or other models as slaves on bridges in our operational lans. Always a pain with the cheapo floppies they installed. Same for the power supplies...junk!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
A few years ago Dell was "decent hardware, but never depend on support." Now pretty much all affordable hardware have dropped in quality, or so it seems. Motherboards blowing capacitors, Seagate and Maxtor drives dropping like flies, fans getting noisy after just a few months.

I remember the Dells from fifteen years ago, a nightmare. Everything haaad to be proprietary, even if it was just switching a few wires around. Their PSUs had the same connectors as everyone else, but a standard PSU would fail to power a Dell and a Dell PSU would blow up everything else. :doh:

I'm still using several Frankenputers (cannabilised parts) from as early as 1995 (1998 Pentium III is my main machine). Every year I take them apart, clean the contacts, put on new thermal paste, and lubricate the fans. They'll keep going until nothing runs on them anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts