Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 issues with my Escape Hyrbid involving vibration. I balanced tires several times, switched each tire with the spare, and finally replaced them with no change so the tires are out of the equation. I took it to the dealer. They agreed that they felt the vibration but said that they couldn't do anything for me.

The dealership said that they scoured their diagnostic computer and couldn't find any description matching my symptoms. Thats it. No inspection, no diagnosis, no making sure no weights were missing from the drive shaft, no making sure a motor mount isn't broken, nothing. Here is the specific description of my issue:

1) Vibration / roughness while accelerating at 30mph - from a stop when I accelerate there is a vibration / roughness at 30mph. It stops shortly after 30mph. It feels like side to side torsional vibration. Like a a motor mount is missing or broken. It is pretty severe.

2) While driving steady state between 40-60mph there is a light persistent vibration throughout the whole car. It is low, you can feel it in your butt. It is a more of a buzz, not a rotational tire balance vibration. This is much less severe, but very annoying.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
390 Posts
A seized or tight u-joint can cause a vibration under accel/ deceleration, but this is more typical in a rwd. A center carrier bearing or mount can also do this.
I've had a lot of custom drive lines built, I recall my drive line guy told me that shaft balance problems usually have two speeds where the problem is noticeable as the shafts go through their harmonics. Too bad your dealer is throwing up their hands. They should try and simulate on a lift.
Damaged CV or shaft? Sounds like you've eliminated wheel damage. Hope you get it figured out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts