Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I had an oil change this morning in Walmart. But I found the "Oil change required" signal still show up after the oil change, and I found the engine oil in my engine much darker than the new oil in oil bottle.
Font Tints and shades Rectangle Hood Wood

As you can see, new oil from the bottle is almost transparent (on the left), while the oil from the engine (on the right) looks orange, even after the Walmart oil change. Thanks!

· Registered
376 Posts
Just reset the OCI reminder yourself and move on.

The new oil has diluted the residual old oil that had remained in the engine (an oil drain never removes everything) giving the new oil a bit of a discolored-from-new appearance.

If they hadn't replaced the oil, it would be very dark.

· Registered
1,510 Posts
Not enough clues as to what year to help with resetting the oil to 100%, it is likely they didn't do it when they changed the oil.

· Registered
1,510 Posts
It really should be part of the service, but there are so many crazy ways to reset it that even if it is in a menu that 95% of Fords have, it might be too much for an oil jockey?

My 2017 Escape? Ignition on, press the brake and gas pedal down fully at the same time for 3 seconds. I am sure there is a database of this, just like what oil filter to use, what weight oil and how much.

· Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
889 Posts
Hi guys, I had an oil change this morning in Walmart. But I found the "Oil change required" signal still show up after the oil change, and I found the engine oil in my engine much darker than the new oil in oil bottle.

As you can see, new oil from the bottle is almost transparent (on the left), while the oil from the engine (on the right) looks orange, even after the Walmart oil change. Thanks!
First question, is the new oil from the bottle, the same oil that they put in with the change? Apples to apples-conventional oil usually appears much darker than synthetic.
I would look at your oil filter, and make sure it looks brand new(it should look perfectly clean, and pretty)
If you don't change the filter, you get a Lotta discoloration immediately
The others are correct, it is easy to reset the oil change light yourself.
if you do not have your owners manual handy, you can YouTube your specific year make model.
After Walmart, I would seriously suggest inspecting your oil drain plug, and make sure you are not leaking anything.

· Registered
981 Posts
... and I found the engine oil in my engine much darker than the new oil.
The oil at the end of the dipstick is very clean for having run through an engine even for a few miles. Remember that there's probably a pint of oil at least still in the engine in the bottom of the pan and sticking to the rest of the inside of the engine. When the oil is changed, your new oil mixes with the old remaining oil and picks up some combustion byproducts from inside the engine.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts