Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of a different style of side mirror LED, but admittedly I am an auto electricy noob.
Essentially...

1. I would remove the side mirror from the housing assembly.
2. Place a strip of blue LEDs on the back side of the mirror more towards the outside with the LEDs pointed to the outside.
3. Wire to ????
4. Reassemble
5. When blinker would be turned on, a soft blue light encasing the lateral borders of the mirror would flash with the greatest intensity furthest from the vehicle and gradually decreasing moving towards the vehicle (based on the location and the directionality of the LEDs). This would be less obvious than the clear LED arrows placed on the mirror but look better IMO.

I'll post a simple pic tomorrow when I get out of work.

Any thoughts on this?
Any thoughts on which LEDs to use?
Will I need a soldering iron?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
First, I wouldn't use blue LEDs unless you want to be stopped by the... er... authorities. I knew someone who was stopped for having blue windshield washer LEDs.

Second, I'd stay away from the flexible LED strips. After one or two winters and some baking in the sun, those things will look like cracked and discolored junk and leave dried-up/cracked goo where you mount them.

I was also thinking of adding something like this to the Escape's mirrors, as well as puddle lamps, and these really got me interested:

http://tinyurl.com/274ddrz

Those plastic LED modules have similar angles to the Escape's mirror housings, and the could probably be added with some precision cutting and some plastic welding inside the mirror housing after being removed from the Lexus add-on housings. These modules also have a raised outer edge that directs light toward the back of the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I don't think you quite understand... The LEDs would be inside the mirror assembly, between the mirror itself and the mirror housing. It would be attached to the backside of the mirror with the light only shining in the small space between the outer edge of the mirror and the outer edge of the housing. It would flash with the blinker. It would not be in the sun at all.

I hope that makes sense. See the pic for reference.

Would blue still not be okay in this situation?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Gotcha.

My guess is that if an officer sees blue lighting (in most states and provinces in North America), and if he/she has any other reason to pull you over, he/she will do it.

As far as the flexible LED strips in that location go, here's my .02:
1) The mirror's corner curves may be too sharp for the flexible strips.
2) The surface on the side of the mirror glass isn't really wide enough to provide good grip, especially around the top and bottom mirror corners, which means that the strips will start to pull away from the top and bottom corners as they try to return to their original shape. Then they'll fall off.
3) The strips probably don't emit much light from their sides.
4) The strips may rub on the inside of the housing.
5) Even if the strips stick, the whole thing may look a little barn-jobbish.

I had Muth signal mirrors on my 2005 Escape, and I e-mailed Muth last month about signal mirrors for my 2010 Escape. Muth does make a signal mirror for 2008 and 2009 models, but it's the custom-install mirror, which requires removal of the mirror glass from the plastic carrier and some removal of plastic from the side of the carrier. The mirrors won't fit the 2010 models, since all 2010 E/M/Ts have integrated blind spot mirror-ettes.

Here's the picture Muth sent to me showing the 2008-2009 Muth signal mirror:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... 09-1-1.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The LEDs were not supposed to be applied to the glass edge. They would be on the rear of the mirror surface pointing laterally instead so the outer housing lights up.

That Muth system looks good.

Here is where I got the idea from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3i2O1zV ... re=related

I wonder how amber or red would look...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with jpark on the blue led thing. A: It will attract attention from the cops, and B: Blue led's are really cliché. Go with something like green.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The blue would only be on when it is blinking though. I can't imagine that would attract that much attention. That said I may try something more like the Muth system.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In most states and provinces a rear facing turn signal MUST be red or orange. If your mirror LED's blink along with your turn signals, then they are considered a turn signal.

You should seriously check with you state/province's DMV or even police dept before using any other colour than red/orange in a turn signal.

Just my 2¢ worth here...

Pat

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
@jpark, are you sure the blind spot mirror isn't just part of the mirror? I got the impression from the dealership that I could switch mine to the 2010 style if I wanted to. Obviously, though, at a price.

Those Muth mirrors look interesting. Do they flash amber or red? (I'd prefer red.) What would it take to get those installed and working properly?? I could start to make my car a light show. Maybe I should.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Tang: I say go for it.

sleeperg8: Step away from any color other than red or safety yellow. You will only get a slap on your hand :bust: ($), but is it really worth the trouble to install them, then get cited and then face the ignominity of having to prove that they are removed in some traffic court? :bag:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:wall: I get no blue.

I'd probably do red if I get around to it.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Actually, I have seen a non factory safety yellow on a Chevy Equinox at a car show. Looks pretty charp!

They spoiled it with blue lights under the rockers... :doh:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Red or amber?

Can't do the dual exhaust (met with Heartthrob today) so I guess it's going to be an appearance project... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts