Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a safe and easy way to clean the exterior engine, all the hoses, belts, etc.
Can I just rinse it safely not allowing any water to get into the air filter?
I've never had to clean a motor that had so much electrical and computerized mechanics built into it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
How i clean the engine...
cover up the battery, air filter housing and MAF, coils, and the bunch of wires just behind the dash. the other electrical stuff are OK but dont spray water directly on them. Also dont spray directly on the pulleys, you might just hit the alternator!
I also use the motorcraft engine cleaner, it dosent take off paint like the walmart types but it really takes off grease.
i have done it this way many times and so far no probs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Well with your intake , cover up your air filter with a trash bag. Then just hose it all down. You can drench pretty much everything in there. The electronics are all sealed up. The battery will not get hurt by hitting it with water. But take your discretion on that one. Personally I drench it all top then the under part of the engine, then back to the top. I hit with high pressure water, then tire degreaser, then back to water rinse. Never have had a problem with this vehicle or any other vehicle I have had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Several times a year I hand wipe things down with Simple Green. Will shine up parts that allow this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Exactly as "our man in the desert says". :beer:
I do what he says at least 10 times every year with my 2004 V6 to get rid of mud, sand and what you can imagine.
I never use any kind of chemicals but dish washing liquid and a hose.
I take extra precaution with the PCM connector.
Never had any issue with anything electronic after 80000miles of treacherous off road driving under extreme weather conditions, with the exemption of a cyl.6 coil...alternators don't count :cuss:
Water won't hurt the alternator as long as you blow dry it afterwards.I use compressed air to blow all excess water when I'm finished.
All my electronic connections have the dielectric silicon treatment once a year, including the spark plugs boots.
Engine should be cold if a hose is going to be used.
A six-pack is optional!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
:beer:
SUVord said:
Exactly as "our man in the desert says". :beer:
I do what he says at least 10 times every year with my 2004 V6 to get rid of mud, sand and what you can imagine.
I never use any kind of chemicals but dish washing liquid and a hose.
I take extra precaution with the PCM connector.
Never had any issue with anything electronic after 80000miles of treacherous off road driving under extreme weather conditions, with the exemption of a cyl.6 coil...alternators don't count :cuss:
Water won't hurt the alternator as long as you blow dry it afterwards.I use compressed air to blow all excess water when I'm finished.
All my electronic connections have the dielectric silicon treatment once a year, including the spark plugs boots.
Engine should be cold if a hose is going to be used.
A six-pack is optional!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oskerb said:
Well with your intake , cover up your air filter with a trash bag. Then just hose it all down. You can drench pretty much everything in there. The electronics are all sealed up. The battery will not get hurt by hitting it with water. But take your discretion on that one. Personally I drench it all top then the under part of the engine, then back to the top. I hit with high pressure water, then tire degreaser, then back to water rinse. Never have had a problem with this vehicle or any other vehicle I have had.
Hey brother be safe and thanks AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :thumb: YOU THE MAN :rockon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
I wipe stuff down on a regular basis using a clean cloth & silicon spray.
Tire & wheel foam works good also - just spray it on.
The owner's manual shows what should be covered & it mentions the Ford engine cleaner - I bet it works good..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,656 Posts
I just did this. I used barely-damp soapy (ArmorAll Wash and Wax) and wet clothes to dig around the inside of my engine bay at what at I could, though completing avoiding the battery when possible. I also got parts on the inside of the hood and the area just behind the grille... patience.

oskerb said:
Well with your intake , cover up your air filter with a trash bag. Then just hose it all down. You can drench pretty much everything in there. The electronics are all sealed up. The battery will not get hurt by hitting it with water. But take your discretion on that one. Personally I drench it all top then the under part of the engine, then back to the top. I hit with high pressure water, then tire degreaser, then back to water rinse. Never have had a problem with this vehicle or any other vehicle I have had.
Someone I know said to do this only when the car was running, and preferably while it's not up to temperature yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
You could leave it on but :shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
If a car's engine can not be washed with the pressure hose while being off, because of this or that, it is not worth keeping.Even in the distributor era of engines we used to hose the engine with just covering the distributor or spraying it with diesel or other off-the-shelf chemical.
But then again, an off road going vehicle gets the engine compartment full of mud and other filthy stuff you can get rid by only hosing off.
Contrary to general belief and car-wash places tactics, today's cars, because of all the sensors and electronic connections need to be washed with the engine off.If a damage is to happen it is going to be worse with the engine on instead of off.
A good practice is to always use pressurized air, when done, to get rid of excess water in all sensitive areas.Extra caution with the battery junction box and the PCM connector.With the battery junction box, water sips in through the connectors of fuses and relays and after some time problems arise like the fuel pump not working, etc.

In my tool box there is always a small bottle with diesel fuel in it.It is a life saver when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere because of electric problem.

PS.:Everything above does not refer to detailing the engine compartment to look shinny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
SUVord said:
If a car's engine can not be washed with the pressure hose while being off, because of this or that, it is not worth keeping.Even in the distributor era of engines we used to hose the engine with just covering the distributor or spraying it with diesel or other off-the-shelf chemical.
But then again, an off road going vehicle gets the engine compartment full of mud and other filthy stuff you can get rid by only hosing off.
Contrary to general belief and car-wash places tactics, today's cars, because of all the sensors and electronic connections need to be washed with the engine off.If a damage is to happen it is going to be worse with the engine on instead of off.
A good practice is to always use pressurized air, when done, to get rid of excess water in all sensitive areas.Extra caution with the battery junction box and the PCM connector.With the battery junction box, water sips in through the connectors of fuses and relays and after some time problems arise like the fuel pump not working, etc.

In my tool box there is always a small bottle with diesel fuel in it.It is a life saver when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere because of electric problem.

PS.:Everything above does not refer to detailing the engine compartment to look shinny.
Why diesel fuel? I havent heard that before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Diesel fuel repels water and humidity.It is a trick we "oldies" used at places where WD40 and the likes were not available.I remember many years ago driving through a snowstorm from New York City to Maine.The snow had had squeezed through the front grill and had covered the whole engine under the hood.Started misfiring crazy.I stopped at a gas station next to the diesel pump and after brushing the snow away I asked the attendant to let me pour some diesel
over the spark plugs, the distributor and the coil.He was stunned to see that with the first turn of the key, the car started working perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
I use plain ol' tap water in the pressure washer and dry after wards I also don't cover anything up. 70/000 miles and keeps on trucking.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top