Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 09 Escape Hybrid came with day-time running lights. Is there a way to disable them? I imagine my mileage would increase as a result?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
1) If you live in Canada, you can't disable them legally.

2) DRLs in 2008+ E/M/Ts are pulsed low-beams, so you'd get better mileage by turning off your entertainment system than you would by disabling the DRLs. They don't draw enough power to put even a scratch in mileage.

3) DRLs really help to let the text and phone crowd see your car when you're going in the opposite direction, so keeping DRLs would be a good idea, IMHO.

Now that I'm done preaching, any Ford dealer can enable or disable DRLs by hooking up to the SJB and enabling or disabling the feature. It takes less than 5 minutes.

If the dealer
a) can't do it,
b) won't do it,
c) doesn't know how to do it, or
d) charges you for an hour of labor,
go to a different dealer. I ran into the same thing when I asked about this, and I finally found a dealer that didn't give me answers a through d when I called. I'm having it done soon.

HTH!

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
jpark, are you adding or removing DRLs?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Tang said:
Adding them. And my dealer said they'd do it for free, same with the Fusion. I can't say who they are, though, since I promised I wouldn't.

Phatcat said:
Thanks jpark!
You're welcome! Please let us know if your dealer cooperates with you!

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
jpark said:
Tang said:
Adding them. And my dealer said they'd do it for free, same with the Fusion. I can't say who they are, though, since I promised I wouldn't.!
Just a heads-up... Silverstars really don't like being DRLs. They lasted about eight months in my ex-girlfriend's Malibu. Unless the way those two DRLs work are completely different from one another.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! I still have the original H13s in case the SilverStars quit.

I still wish Sylvania would get around to working on an H13 Ultra.

:cuss: :rant:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Someone who was looking for them said they would be out soon... I forget when that post was.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My dealer says If the 2010 came with the DRL option, he didnt found it, therefore no way to turn it on...
So again im attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis with my dealer.

Big Bang theory quote!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Update!!

I finally convinced my dealer to turn my drls on!!!!
no cost

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I asked my dealer to enable my DRLs while my Escape was in for its last oil change. The service tech left me a note to "turn the headlamp switch counter-clockwise as far as it would go." :rant:

I really wish I could find a dealer that would just enable them for me. It's pretty annoying that almost all dealers do not know how to do this.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Mantruck101 said:
I asked my dealer to enable my DRLs while my Escape was in for its last oil change. The service tech left me a note to "turn the headlamp switch counter-clockwise as far as it would go." :rant:

I really wish I could find a dealer that would just enable them for me. It's pretty annoying that almost all dealers do not know how to do this.
I don't think it's "don't know how"... more "don't want to bother".

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If I can find the service procedure for this, I'll post it here.

I haven't had time to even go back to the dealer, but I'm still planning on enabling DRLs on both cars, soon.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
jpark said:
If I can find the service procedure for this, I'll post it here.

I haven't had time to even go back to the dealer, but I'm still planning on enabling DRLs on both cars, soon.
Any update on this, jpark?

·
Registered
1 Posts
With a OTC Pegisys tool can I change it so my automatic headlamps are either always on, or adjust the light sensitivity sensor to come on when it's overcast/raining?

I have a 2008 Ford Escape limited with fog lamps.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
jpark said:
I still have the original H13s in case the SilverStars quit.
I actually keep them in my vehicle inside a soft case for this very reason. I figure, if I'm in the middle of Central New York as I often find myself...

Tang said:
Just a heads-up... Silverstars really don't like being DRLs. They lasted about eight months in my ex-girlfriend's Malibu. Unless the way those two DRLs work are completely different from one another.
Anyone have input on this? I'd like to get them activated, but this is stopping me.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I can tell you that the Silverstars in my DRL-less Escape have been good for the last 21 months!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I bought some Silverstars about 3 weeks ago and tried once to install them, but couldn't get the stupid stock bulbs to come out after spending close to an hour monkeying with both sides. :cuss: The new bulbs have been on my backseat since then. When I have my Escape serviced next week, I'll ask the dealer to put them in.

I have read the instructions in the owner's manual and looked online for tips on removing the stock bulbs, but still cannot get them out. :wall: It's not like I've never changed a headlight bulb before!! It's not like I'm an airhead when it comes to tools either; I have an engineering degree!!

/end rant

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Mantruck101 said:
I bought some Silverstars about 3 weeks ago and tried once to install them, but couldn't get the stupid stock bulbs to come out after spending close to an hour monkeying with both sides. :cuss: The new bulbs have been on my backseat since then. When I have my Escape serviced next week, I'll ask the dealer to put them in.

I have read the instructions in the owner's manual and looked online for tips on removing the stock bulbs, but still cannot get them out. :wall: It's not like I've never changed a headlight bulb before!! It's not like I'm an airhead when it comes to tools either; I have an engineering degree!!

/end rant
If it makes you feel any better, I nearly broke my thumb nail doing it... I paid $20 at the nearby Ford dealership (though not the one I bought my car from, but where I get all my parts from) to put both in. Took two mechanics and a service advisor. Quite a sight. :lol:

Let's be honest though... I'd take a bulb tightly screwed into the assembly than a loose one. :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Tang said:
If it makes you feel any better, I nearly broke my thumb nail doing it... I paid $20 at the nearby Ford dealership (though not the one I bought my car from, but where I get all my parts from) to put both in. Took two mechanics and a service advisor. Quite a sight. :lol:

Let's be honest though... I'd take a bulb tightly screwed into the assembly than a loose one. :D
That does make me feel better. At least I know that I'm not the only one who can't change a light bulb.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts