Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone rubbed up against the corner of my front bumper yesterday :mad: ,I managed to remove the red paint but the shine where they rubbed against is faded,is there anyway to buff this out.. Now I know why so many Escapes have those flat black bumpers....

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Depends on the condition of the paint. If it is just light scratches then a little rubbing compound and a wash and wax in the area. If it is a little deeper a buffing wheel (with rubbing compound) is in order then wax. If it is through the paint then touch up paint, 1000 grit wet sand, buffing wheel, wax...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Sorry to hear that Mike.

Non-painted bumpers was one of the key things I wanted when looking for a new car when I bought the Maverick. The body colour bumpers on my old Mondeo looked terrible after London driving for 5 years.

The more plastic the better as far as I'm concerned, and SUVs are the only vehicles that can pull off the masses of plastic look. :thumb:

·
Registered
297 Posts
ahh but on the other hand Chris if you scuff your non painted bumpers your a re stuck with it unless you replace them - no options of sand down and respray!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
He could just sand them and spray with his favorite color.... :bill:

·
Registered
223 Posts
ahhh I hate when that happens... then all I notice is the imperfections in the paint.. good luck fixing it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I tried to take a pic in the dark of a black bumper.... very difficult,but youo guys will understand..

You can see some red paint .... Someone said that if I use Zymol and a low speed buffer it might help erase it... :confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone heard of this trick... ?

Hey everybody, as a Jeep owner I like to go off-roading once in a while because I think that is what their made for, but sometimes I get myself into some pretty tight spots where it's to late to turn around so your best to just keep on going. In these times your probably going to run into tree branches slightly scraping your bumpers creating a white scratch that will not come out. To remove these scratches all you need to do it get a heat gun and on low-med heat point the gun at the scratch, not to close or you'll boil the plastic and literally watch it disappear.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Mike50 said:
Anyone heard of this trick... ?

Hey everybody, as a Jeep owner I like to go off-roading once in a while because I think that is what their made for, but sometimes I get myself into some pretty tight spots where it's to late to turn around so your best to just keep on going. In these times your probably going to run into tree branches slightly scraping your bumpers creating a white scratch that will not come out. To remove these scratches all you need to do it get a heat gun and on low-med heat point the gun at the scratch, not to close or you'll boil the plastic and literally watch it disappear.
I don't know about that :worry: ...makes me wonder who would tell you that?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I was concerned that the heat changing properties of the plastic bumper would not match that of the paint. Or that the paint would blister with the heat or delaminate later. Not fun in either case.

I know of no short cuts on this, just buff lightly with some very fine sand paper, polish and hope you don't go through to the black "under" coat. Or clean the scratched area as best you can, then don't wax or buff afterwards. The wax will whiten along the depressed edges and enhance the scratches.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Big Chris said:
Sorry to hear that Mike.

Non-painted bumpers was one of the key things I wanted when looking for a new car when I bought the Maverick. The body colour bumpers on my old Mondeo looked terrible after London driving for 5 years.
You should drive more carefully then :box: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I rubbed up against a trashcan one time...left some nice scratches on my bumper...right when I bought it too!! Anyways yeah I feel the pain...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts