Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my cold air intake.I bought a spectre air filter and a maf adapter and some basic steel sheet metal.I made a carboard template of what the shield needed to be shaped liked to fit properly and then cut the sheet metal and hand bent it to the correct angles to fit.I chose not to paint the shield but i covered it in some adhesive backed high heat aluminum tape not help reflect some of the heat away.Total cost approx $80 bucks.........not bad considering the weapon r has NO heatshield to keep the filter cool........and costs $190 bucks lol

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc25 ... AG0214.jpg

·
Registered
294 Posts
Very nice! same thing i did, the sound alone is wonderful and i do get a better throttle response too. I dunno about MPG yet.
Is that open or closed cell foam on top?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Good setup :thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sound was worth the investment plus i got a cleanable filter outta the deal.The foam at the top is just some pipe insulation from lowes,cheap and efective.

·
Registered
294 Posts
use the closed cell pipe foam instead of the open-cell, the close-cell foam has a much higher heat rating.
be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 mins or so to reset the computer to adjust to the filter, seems to help a little

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't see where it gets its air. Where does it draw the air from? It seems like a good place to install a small hood scoop on the hood right above where the air box sits so you get fresh air.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Agreed, with it setup to completly seal like that, i see the issue of doing more restriction then the stock setup

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am trying to figure out what some of you all mean by "gutting" the air box. When I opened up my air box today, it just has a filter. It's my Fram replacement filter. That's it. Nothing to gut out. I removed the air pipe that connects to the filter box. OK-so what am I missing??

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am trying to figure out what some of you all mean by "gutting" the air box. When I opened up my air box today, it just has a filter. It's my Fram replacement filter. That's it. Nothing to gut out. I removed the air pipe that connects to the filter box. OK-so what am I missing??
It just means, taking the inlet pipe/resonator chamber, and disconnecting it from the airbox. You can also cut the inlet of the airbox larger. Then get yourself a K&N filter, thus making your stock setup alot more efficient.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I tried to remove the air box and found one screw near the shock tower. There are 2 fasteners at the bottom but can't see how they work. Screws? plastic inserts? Reach from the top or get them from underneath? The enlarging the opening looks easy with my new Skill hand grinder. My plan was to wait till next paycheck and buy the weapon R and use that instead of the K&N.

·
Registered
556 Posts
tried to remove the air box and found one screw near the shock tower. There are 2 fasteners at the bottom but can't see how they work. Screws? plastic inserts? Reach from the top or get them from underneath? The enlarging the opening looks easy with my new Skill hand grinder. My plan was to wait till next paycheck and buy the weapon R and use that instead of the K&N.
Yes, two plastic inserts. Just pull up and out, to install just press the inserts back into the grommets. Easy as that.

·
Registered
556 Posts
MrRollTide said:
post some places to get a good cold air intake for a reasonable price. 2001 escape needs some more upgrades.
www.carid.com

Just put in your vehicle and it will search for everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts