Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has always been one of things I didn't understand: how Ford decide what parts and trims of interior should be in which color. And here is how I changed the story.

I own white exterior with black leather interior XTL E with sunroof. I didn't see a point in buying "top-of-the-line" limited/SAP version if it is only visually different, but at the same time here is what bothered me as a designer:
1. I have only one chrome thing in my interior - it's a trim on a central console. Why to put chrome at all if it is not matching a color of any other trims? (simplest design rule)
2. I have front armrests painted in central console goldish silver and back armrests in black. Why not to make things reciprocally?
3. All the interior behind the driver row is monotone black and boring. Whyyyy??? :wall:

When I bought my E, sales rep in the top-selling dealership told me that this is the most practical and popular set and that they don't even have other interior color options. I checked myself and everyone of about 20 white Escapes had the same interior!

I decided to take it as is, leaving a HUUUUGE interior decorating question to Ford designers.

It's well enough of negativity, time for the bright side: all the things mentioned gave more freedom to my fantasy!

And here is what it ended up with. I have:
1. Unmounted front ventilation trims and painted them in matching goldish silver
2. Unmounted back armrests and painted them in matching goldish silver
3. Unmounted both front and back door handle panels and painted them in matching goldish silver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,870 Posts
looks great! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Great work! I have the SAP, but I don't think I've ever paid attention to the back doors! I may have another mod in the near future!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Crap........I've been trying to stay out of CanTire with the long weekend coming up.

Looks great and thank you for putting in the product number. :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your thanks, Guys! :beer:

I also wanted to share a part of the project that hasn't been completed yet: as I have mentioned my interior has only one chromed plastic part and it is a trim in a central console. For me it looks meaningless and I was planning to paint front vent trims and door handles (currently left them black) in chrome too so that it will make sense.

BUT. There is a problem. According to what several body-shop professionals told me and from my own attempts there is absolutely no possibility to pain plastic in chrome. I have spent almost $200 on different chrome spays from local CanadianTires and HomeDepots, but it was all worthless :) The maximum result that I have achieved was glossy silver.

So here is the question to you:
Do you know any way to chrome a plastic?

And I would really wanted to hear something from Limited version owners: do you have your door handles and vent trims chromed?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,656 Posts
adelion said:
And I would really wanted to hear something from Limited version owners: do you have your door handles and vent trims chromed?
In terms of interior chrome, standard fare on Limited-trim Escapes were, and not limited to:
> door handles
> trim rings around the side vents
> shift knob
> ring around the shifter assembly (but also standard on other trim levels)

Not including the chrome, and not limited to:
> glossy piano black arm rest trim (front rows only)
> glossy piano black lower center console (around shifter assembly)
> glossy piano black Sync fascia (around TCS/Sync)
> glossy piano black radio bezel surround
> glossy piano black center vent/radio information display trim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tang said:
In terms of interior chrome, standard fare on Limited-trim Escapes were, and not limited to:
> door handles
> trim rings around the side vents
> shift knob
> ring around the shifter assembly (but also standard on other trim levels)

Not including the chrome, and not limited to:
> glossy piano black arm rest trim (front rows only)
> glossy piano black lower center console (around shifter assembly)
> glossy piano black Sync fascia (around TCS/Sync)
> glossy piano black radio bezel surround
> glossy piano black center vent/radio information display trim
Thanks Tang!
I will visit my local dealer to find if it will be possible to buy door handles separately then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
So you've had this done for a while now to the interior trim.. How has it held up? Most of the places that you've done the work to are all areas that a frequently touched and used. Has it faded any? Chipped? It looks amazing and I was considering doing it to mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ZachBoy said:
So you've had this done for a while now to the interior trim.. How has it held up? Most of the places that you've done the work to are all areas that a frequently touched and used. Has it faded any? Chipped? It looks amazing and I was considering doing it to mine.
So far everything is perfect. I have even washed the interior after super active summer, the paint looks as on the first day.
As for the chromed handles, I decided no to install them because I like current contrast look.

Update: next project is painting front dashboard. Getting ready! :calvin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
WELLLLL... I liked your idea SO much that I decided to go ahead and try it out for myself. Just finished everything today along with some other mods that I had planned for this weekend. I will post some pics when I get back outside here in a minute. I think it turned out great and looks just a sweet as yours! But I must say, I like the silver/black look you have a little more than my silver/tan. But, I still say that it made the whole interior of my E completely different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ZachBoy said:
WELLLLL... I liked your idea SO much that I decided to go ahead and try it out for myself. Just finished everything today along with some other mods that I had planned for this weekend. I will post some pics when I get back outside here in a minute. I think it turned out great and looks just a sweet as yours! But I must say, I like the silver/black look you have a little more than my silver/tan. But, I still say that it made the whole interior of my E completely different.
Glad to hear, ZachBoy! Post your pics, quite interested to see how you have done yours! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Does the XLS have the chrome shifter trim ring? For some reason, methinks it isn't chrome but rather plastic. If I'm correct, you could probably order a non-chrome XLS shifter trim ring and paint it the color of your choice to complete the look you're going for.

I too was annoyed that the chrome shifter trim ring was the ONLY piece of chrome in my Escape's interior. I ordered the chrome trim rings (the ones on the Limiteds) for my front air registers so that one chrome piece wasn't so lonesome.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mantruck101 said:
Does the XLS have the chrome shifter trim ring? For some reason, methinks it isn't chrome but rather plastic. If I'm correct, you could probably order a non-chrome XLS shifter trim ring and paint it the color of your choice to complete the look you're going for.

I too was annoyed that the chrome shifter trim ring was the ONLY piece of chrome in my Escape's interior. I ordered the chrome trim rings (the ones on the Limiteds) for my front air registers so that one chrome piece wasn't so lonesome.
Niiice! That's what I initially was thinking of for my front air registers, but decided to walk-around and do it myself.
How much does the limited chrome rings cost - if you don't mind?

As I mentioned earlier, the only chrome part I have is chrome shifter trim ring too. I am planing to get rid of chrome entirely, but this is a part of major interior coloring project which is coming soon :drool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
adelion said:
Niiice! That's what I initially was thinking of for my front air registers, but decided to walk-around and do it myself.
How much does the limited chrome rings cost - if you don't mind?

As I mentioned earlier, the only chrome part I have is chrome shifter trim ring too. I am planing to get rid of chrome entirely, but this is a part of major interior coloring project which is coming soon :drool:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12862

That thread has all the info you need (part numbers, prices, installation instructions, and a great online source for ordering OEM parts). I think I paid around $30 for each register.

Do we have any XLS owners that can verify if the trim ring around the shifter is chrome? I tried doing a Google Image Search but wasn't too successful.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top