Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
UPDATE:

ORIENTATION: Correct, chips facing 3 & 9 o-clock.

RADIO STATIC: Contacted BeamTech and they say their Decoder should fix the radio interference problem. They wanted order #, name, address - sounded like they'd send me a free set. But previous owner (original owner) bot them. I could pester him for info, but I just told BT that I bot about a year ago and don't have any paperwork. They sell them for $10 on Amazon and if I could try and return if don't work, I would gladly solve problem for $10. HOWEVER I don't have any CANBUS errors or flickering so am doubtful will solve radio interference problem.

TO DO: Wil get some pics of pattern on wall/garage door and post.

BANGSTER: Thanks for the beam patterns. That sharp cutoff is what I really hate, they' dangerous on hilly back roads. Reiterating, the instant I got a ride in neighbor's '12, I saw the cutoff, but it was not that extreme. Mine I've never noticed any cutoff when driving - and I just don't get that since my chip pattern is same as many expensive LED's that supposedly have good pattern. It doesn't make sense that it's a "compatibility" issue with the Escape headlight reflector design.

· Registered
981 Posts
UPDATE: My LEDs: BeamTech
This is troublesome: some highly regarded LED's have the same 6 chip layout: they have a good pattern and cutoff in the tests. Maybe the chip pattern is OK and the problem is WHERE the chips are? Maybe depends on the vehicle??? I have no cutoff to speak off - I'd rate the pattern "terrible" (i call it a "flood" pattern.)

$38 on Amazon 50w

View attachment 3243
In this picture, those LEDs look very thick. From what I've read, the reflector housings are designed to throw light from a single point source (the filament). Since LED bulb don't put out light in the same pattern, they use a thin metal plate to mount the LEDs on either side. If the plate is thin enough, both LEDs will put out light similar to a filament, but if the plate is too thick, it's like having two filaments.

The difficulty with making very thin plates is that the LEDs run very hot and the plate is the heatsink, so if the LEDs are mounted back to back on a very thin plate, they will overheat. The better LED bulbs use a thin plate and bigger/faster fans. I'm wondering if the LED you have is just too thick to throw a good pattern in a reflector housing.

I'm honestly thinking of pulling the fog lights out of my 2011 Tribute and putting some driving light projectors in there. IMO, Escape/Mariner/Tribute factory lighting is unsafe.

John

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Thanks, I never thought to consider the thickness of the plate - I was "focused" on the LED layout which seemed to be just like expensive units.

EDIT: Also, the blade is white probably to reflect heat, but it may also become a secondary light source further blurring the cutoff. (Would be interesting to paint the white with black header paint and see if cutoff sharpens.)

I believe the plate thickness may explain things.

After riding in neighbor's stock '12, while I'm not happy with the cutoff not being sharp enough, I've only gotten flashed once, so it is clearly not terribly too bright for oncoming traffic.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Have you tried YouTube for LED comparison? Fun and informative videos to watch.

Yes, I've looked at a number of those comparisons, but I never found one for 9008 bulbs. I would not assume if the best LED manufacturer's model for a particular auto bulb type would apply to all bulb types. In other words, I would only act on a comparison of 9008 bulbs. They are simply too expensive to experiment with - and opinions are all over the place like the original owner saying he liked the LED's I'm at issue with (yes, they are brighter which is a + and probably of primary importance, however the cutoff is poor so recommendations are a function of what that person values the most.)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts