Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Hybrid require any special oil changes? I haven't bought a new car in ages... can you goto any oil change to get it done and still keep the warranty? (I guess this question would apply to Gas model too).

·
Registered
24 Posts
No the hybrids do not require any special oil changes. Its like any new car today. Every 10,000 miles is what they suggest. I still do every 5,000 miles. I have never taken it to another place other then Ford for oil change and service so I am not sure if it voids the warranty. I do not see why it would.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im not sure about the hybrids, but my van that i had (last ford i had with a warranty lol). all i did was keep all my receipts for the oil and filer that i bought. since i did the oil change myself. when the receipt is printed out it will have the date one it. and i used to write the KM on each receipt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was told by my Ford dealer that changing the oil in the Hybrid required special training and only a dealer could do that. I had free oil changes for life from my dealer as part of my purchase so I had no reason to take it anywhere else.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Logically the hybrid should not require any special treatment with regard to oil changes.

The 4-cylinder internal combustion engine is only marginally different from the non-hybrid, with the "otto" cycle replaced by the "atkinson" cycle -- which delays the closing of the intake valves to provide greater engine efficiency (reduced fuel consumption) but at the loss of low-end torque (which is made up for by the electric motor).

The oil change procedure would be exactly the same as for a non-hybrid; warm up the engine, pull the drain plug from the pan, change the oil filter, replace the plug, and refill with new oil.

There is no impact on the electric motor(s) nor any other hybrid-specific components.

However, similar to Chicagotom, I had free oil changes for the first 4 years of ownership (which ended last October) so my hybrid has always been to my Ford dealership for this task (even for the first post-free oil change).

:beer:

·
Registered
11 Posts
using the correct oil is what's important. now about the filter, i looked, briefly, at the fram book at the local Wally-World. it shows that the 09 hybrid uses a replacable cartridge instead of an acutal replacement filter canister. is this correct or are there 2 options?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0w20 oil in my 2005 hybrid. A motorcraft filter can be found at Walmart for like $3.65. The recommended interval change is 10,000 miles--yes this is in the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
From Motorweek on PBS over the weekend:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
GOSS' GARAGE - Hybrid Maintenance
Pat Goss

PAT GOSS: There's lots of hybrids on the road these days, and as is typically the case with any new technology, there are a lot of myths. And to give us the true story, we have Chris Peterson. He is an instructor with Toyota. Chris, welcome to Goss' Garage.

CHRIS PETERSON: Thank you, Pat.

PAT: Alright, number one myth: You can't service your hybrid yourself.

CHRIS: That's absolutely not true. The customer can do any of their own maintenance if they want. That includes changing the spark plugs, the oil, the air filter, even the brakes.

PAT: OK, but one thing that is different, is two cooling systems.

CHRIS: That's true. This is just like a conventional car in many regards, with the exception of the cooling system. Over there is the cooling system for the gasoline engine, and this would be the cooling system for the hybrid transaxle.

PAT: Alright, but there's one gigantic "Don't do it" and that is the orange cables.

CHRIS: And that's part of the reason we're wearing the gloves today. The orange cables under the hood -- a customer that's doing their own maintenance should never touch or try to disconnect, because they could potentially carry up to 650 volts electricity.

PAT: Ah, that could ruin your morning. And that voltage comes from this unit, this battery pack, and again… we hear lots of stories that these are unreliable, and I haven't seen that at all.

CHRIS: No, not at all. And one thing, a customer would never be in here doing any kind of service work. And what a lot of them don't realize is this is actually warranteed for 8 years/100,000 miles.

PAT: Okay. So there's no worries there. Alright, but we have to control all of this, and that means we need this inverter.

CHRIS: Yes, basically what the inverter does is... that's DC, or direct current, similar to what you use in a flashlight. The inverter actually takes the DC and changes it into alternating current, or AC, that we're going to use in our transaxle.

PAT: Okay. And it does it through electronic circuits and various components to do that. Again, a reliable piece.

CHRIS: Absolutely.

PAT: Okay. But, here is where all of this ends up, and this is the business end of things, this is the transaxle. And if you looked at it in the car, it doesn't look that much different than any other, but here at cutaway, big differences.

CHRIS: Oh, quite a big difference. Inside we have two what we call motor/generators. The motor/generator over here, if I send current into it, is actually our starter motor, and that's what we spin the engine over. Now, once the engine's running, we'll use that motor/generator as a generator to actually recharge the hybrid battery that we just looked at on the bench. This particular motor/generator is used to drive the vehicles. It's attached to the front wheels. When we send current into it, it actually makes the car move. And then we also use this for what we call regenerative braking. When you step on the brake pedal, we turn it into a generator to help slow the vehicle.

PAT: Which also improves brake life.

CHRIS: It improves brake life. And in addition to that, it also helps to recharge the battery pack up. So it's two benefits.

PAT: Okay. So all of this stuff that we're seeing on the Internet, 99% of it is pure garbage.

CHRIS: Just like anything else, you have to be real careful what you read on the Internet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.