Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Do you think this "Fuel Saver Module" is legit?

1K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  ScubaBrett22 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have been looking for something to help me get my MPG up and i stumbled on this and I really can't tell if this is legit what do you think?

http://www.performancechiptuning.com/Fuel+Saver+Module/3/

Also I noticed my MPG has dropped from 19.8 to 18.5 and i was wondering would a dirty air filter cause this? Cause i need to replace mine asap...

#2 ·
No, it is a scam. As for your mpg, a study recently came out that proves that dirty air filter will not decrease your gas mileage - it will only affect your power. Has it gotten colder in your area recently? My mpg always drops in the winter b/c of the cold weather, and because of the winter gas blend they use here.

#3 ·
Looks like they also offer a product like the "Tornado" and an "electric supercharger." All gimmick junk products.

Keeping clean fuel filters will help. A dirty air filter will indirectly reduce gas mileage. A dirty air filter reduces the power output of the motor. So, to get to 60MPH, you'll have to stay in the throttle a little longer. The longer you're on the throttle, the more gas you burn.

You'll always see a drop in mileage in the winter. Just make sure your fuel filter and air filters are clean, tires are aired properly, and mind your driving habits. If you really want to squeeze every bit out of your fuel use, you can get a tuner, like SCT, and have a shop custom tune the car to improve fuel efficiency. The factory tunes are a little on the rich side. Adjust the fuel and the ignition timing properly, and you can see some increased engine efficiency which translates into increased fuel efficiency.

#4 ·
Yes, Yes, and Yes. To touch on the GIMMICK products, you would need a very very strong magnet to split* a solid bonded material. One would need a boron/ferrite magnet x alot = to get something. Next to that would be a electromanetic magnet which, well just no :doh: *But even that wont get material to SPLIT only move to one side of the line.

46caliber said:
Looks like they also offer a product like the "Tornado" and an "electric supercharger." All gimmick junk products.

Keeping clean fuel filters will help. A dirty air filter will indirectly reduce gas mileage. A dirty air filter reduces the power output of the motor. So, to get to 60MPH, you'll have to stay in the throttle a little longer. The longer you're on the throttle, the more gas you burn.

You'll always see a drop in mileage in the winter. Just make sure your fuel filter and air filters are clean, tires are aired properly, and mind your driving habits. If you really want to squeeze every bit out of your fuel use, you can get a tuner, like SCT, and have a shop custom tune the car to improve fuel efficiency. The factory tunes are a little on the rich side. Adjust the fuel and the ignition timing properly, and you can see some increased engine efficiency which translates into increased fuel efficiency.

#7 ·
What an idea!!!

I can sell a device that claims to increase mileage by 48% by bombarding gasoline ions with UV-charged light from a laser diode!!!

2 easy payments of only $49.95! But wait!!!

:whistle:

#8 ·
:hyst: Your idea and I'll sell it and we'll split it

jpark said:
What an idea!!!

I can sell a device that claims to increase mileage by 48% by bombarding gasoline ions with UV-charged light from a laser diode!!!

2 easy payments of only $49.95! But wait!!!

:whistle:

#10 ·
Good question :confused: The chicken or the egg, first payment or second payment?

jpark said:
Deal! Which of the "2 easy payments" do we split?

:lol:

#11 ·
slavrenz said:
ScubaBrett22 said:
Hey guys I have been looking for something to help me get my MPG up and i stumbled on this and I really can't tell if this is legit what do you think?

http://www.performancechiptuning.com/Fuel+Saver+Module/3/

Also I noticed my MPG has dropped from 19.8 to 18.5 and i was wondering would a dirty air filter cause this? Cause i need to replace mine asap...
No, it is a scam. As for your mpg, a study recently came out that proves that dirty air filter will not decrease your gas mileage - it will only affect your power. Has it gotten colder in your area recently? My mpg always drops in the winter b/c of the cold weather, and because of the winter gas blend they use here.
/figures it was fake Thanks everyone for the info!!

Also the air filter has not been changed since well the car was made, and I am at 35,000+ miles and thats why i think the gas mpg is going down cause i drive constantly all most every day. If I get a new air filter should I get a K&N High performance one since it could add 0-4HP?

And yes it has gotten colder about eh 58 in the morning 75 late afternoon.

I also notice this morning when i turned on the car it was shaking at idle and it was in park but I revved it and the shaking went away might have been cause it was cold out i really don't know. It was 66 F this morning.

#12 ·
Remember, if it really saved fuel, Detroit would have implemented it a decade ago and made a tidy profit at that.

I miss the summer months. I could baby the '10 Escape to 30 MPG highway without too much effort.... now? Let's not talk about it. E10 (let's not even think about E85) and these temperatures where my car doesn't warm up by the time I get to work are killing me.

#13 ·
Domain said:
Remember, if it really saved fuel, Detroit would have implemented it a decade ago and made a tidy profit at that.

I miss the summer months. I could baby the '10 Escape to 30 MPG highway without too much effort.... now? Let's not talk about it. E10 (let's not even think about E85) and these temperatures where my car doesn't warm up by the time I get to work are killing me.
same here, just i have an '07 escape, and i only got 20 on the highway in the summer though. now i get 12-15mpg city and the car isnt warmed up by the time i get to work either.

#14 ·
If you're interested in saving fuel, what I've heard alot about is "improving your driving habits." The best way to do this is see what you're getting all the time for mileage with something like a Scan Guage. That way you can see what you're getting at different speeds, throttle settings etc. Unfortunately they are not money saving devices at $160 shipped.

#15 ·
Ajax said:
If you're interested in saving fuel, what I've heard alot about is "improving your driving habits." The best way to do this is see what you're getting all the time for mileage with something like a Scan Guage. That way you can see what you're getting at different speeds, throttle settings etc. Unfortunately they are not money saving devices at $160 shipped.
Ya i know what you mean and on my GPS it has a Eco-Challenge and i try to keep my "Leafs" at 90 and above leafs are how good you are doing when your driving :) You guys might think since I am a teen/ kid, i must drive fast.. well i do.. but then again I only go 5 over the speed limit and on my drive to school the fastest i go is about 55mph... most of the drive i am at 40-45mph.. I am not into driving that fast cause I try to save gas so I don't have to bug me parents for money for gas since I hate doing it!! lol

I also just changed my air filter today and now when i turn it on the RPM's don't shoot up to 2,500 they only go up to 1,500 :) I also found a lot of crap in the air intake... I plan on resetting my Average MPG on my car so I can see if it increase or decreased.

#16 ·
Ajax said:
Bingo.

Love mine.

#17 ·
Domain said:
Ajax said:
Bingo.

Love mine.

I will check those out here are some pictures of the nasty air filter

#23 ·
That schedule is not at all unusual if you live in a dusty area.

Methinks that JJ just might know what he's doing based on where he lives and the kind of driving he does.

Just my .02.

#24 ·
jpark said:
That schedule is not at all unusual if you live in a dusty area.

Methinks that JJ just might know what he's doing based on where he lives and the kind of driving he does.

Just my .02.
That's why I said "to each his own". Even in highly dusty areas, I've never heard of a recommendation to change your air filter more than once per year. That doesn't mean I'm not wrong, but I would find it highly unusual if the filter was that clogged between oil changes that you couldn't see a 100W light bulb behind it (the rule of thumb for replacement).

#25 ·
FWIW, my dealer suggested replacing my engine air filter during my 22,500 mile service (vehicle was on the road for only 9 months). I do not drive in dusty conditions. I suspect that I could have waited until the 30K service, but I gave them the go-ahead to replace it for peace of mind.

#26 ·
I plan to change out every 10-15k miles or so. I let the Fusion go to near 20k, and when I put in a new filter shortly before getting rid of it, it drove like a new vehicle. Filter didn't look bad either.

@Brett - Hmm, your filter looks nothing like mine. And we both have V6's, interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.