Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Does anyone drag race their Escapes here?

5K views 49 replies 16 participants last post by  Ajax 
#1 ·
C'mon...anyone?

[mod]Moved to Tailgate Chat.[/mod]

#3 ·
More the utility crowd here, although they make great audio boxes and do multitasking very well thank you! But race :confused: I don't know about that. The V-6 version has always been pretty quick, and most likely one of the quickest in the class.

#4 ·
jonas1022 said:
...The V-6 version has always been pretty quick, and most likely one of the quickest in the class.
Only the 09+ V6s, and maybe the early years. Most competitor's 4-bangers come keep up with (or are close to) the '05 - '08 V6s (unfortunately). The V6 is very adequate for me. The 2.3 in my '07 was not. It was good for flat highway cruising. I really wish I had the 09, but they didn't have 0% interest on them at the time I purchased.

#7 ·
There is a guy here I think that has a SUPERCHARGER on their older ESCAPE. I want to know what he rolls in the 1/4 mile. :pug:

#9 ·
Not me. I am 56 years old and need escape, to be reliable for work duties.

Plus in my spare time, i enjoy cruising out in the country. Also it is used for my , two way uhf communications hobby.

Do not have a uhf home base. As regards drag racing, i had a go at it, during the later 1970's decade.

I used to have a 1970 308 V8 Falcon. It had a manual gear box, plus dual exhaust.

_________________________**************____________________########

But in those days, petrol was a lot cheaper in pricing. I do not regret ,having a V8 or do i miss it.

The V8 was an intriguing experience. Incredibly strong engine. But my favourite was the dual exhaust.

Can not recall if it was a Cleveland, or the Windsor V8.

But i shall never forget the tone on exhaust.

It had a beautiful rumble, with a very deep bass sound, plus just the right balance of grunty note.

**-----------------------------------##----------------------------------------------**

I personally do not, have anything against drag racing.

When i had that Falcon 302 V8, it was done on an actual race circuit.

But this was only on the straight.

The officials strictly supervised, there premises for safety.

We had to wear safety helmets. They had rules and policies.

Everything was observed, down to a fine art by them.

------------_____________________________________------------------

#10 ·
I only drag race Honda Civics with big mufflers and obnoxious kid drivers because they deserve to be beat by an SUV.

#13 ·
stone said:
Ajax said:
I only drag race Honda Civics with big mufflers and obnoxious kid drivers because they deserve to be beat by an SUV.
:lol:
AMEN!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :wave: :wave: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

#17 ·
jonas1022 said:
The V-6 version has always been pretty quick, and most likely one of the quickest in the class.
C'mon folks. We all know the only Escape built for drag racing is the HYBRID!

As noted on the comparison chart below, the 2006 Escape Hybrid handily beat the V6 powered version in the 0-90 mph timing (which is far more relevant than the more common 0-60 mph mark in my opinion).

Of course, the other aspect of racing is bringing the vehicle to a stop and -- once again -- the earlier hybrid with it's front & rear disc brakes takes the category, stopping 10-feet sooner than the V6 slug from 80 mph (and 4-feet sooner from 60 mph).

All of the above is achieved with lower interior noise so you can hear every nuance in Zamfir's magical performance of "The Lonely Shepherd" while smoking the competition.

So... who's ready to challenge my FEH?

(Then after, I'll show you some real "speed" with my 170 cid slant-six powered '64 Valiant).

:stop:

#18 ·
fast 09 escape said:
I just took my 09' to the strip last week.It was so cool beating up on a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Hemi!I ran a 15.47 @88.90...not too bad for a v6 family truckster!
Wow that's pretty impressive! Not too long ago I raced my friend's 90 Mustang 5.0, beat him off the line too- because he went sideways lol. Once he hooked up I was toast but it was still fun.

#19 ·
I'd never dream of drag racing the Escape though it might be super consistent for bracket racing, :boring: which, besides a good reaction time is all that really matters.

It's always fun to have the faster car, be it the drags or stoplight games. I'm admittedly spoiled by having another car built for abuse, but it allows me to drive the Escape and Volvo with a light foot.

As far as stoplight wars, the only time I blow away the musclebound 2WD hot rods is from snow packed icy intersections. :D

Though, if anyone builds an Escape that runs a 12 or even 13 second 1/4, you'll have a big fan.

#22 ·
oskerb said:
There is a guy here I think that has a SUPERCHARGER on their older ESCAPE. I want to know what he rolls in the 1/4 mile. :pug:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Escape-Timeslip-6589.html

Just some rough figuring:
14.96@93.4 mph with supercharger, guessing about 3500 lb with driver, 222 wheel hp needed, 20% loss through drivetrain, about 280 at the flywheel. 'Charger was adding another 40%, a nice bump over the stock 200 hp. Looks like run was made on a hot day so obviously has more on tap with cooler air.

Using the 09's 240 hp, the same supercharged 40% increase could conceivably put it to 98-100 mph, With a good 60' this would be nipping the high 13s. Also, the '09 has two more gears to play with so all the better.

If you are into car math check out this link:
http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

#23 ·
BLKXLT said:
oskerb said:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Escape-Timeslip-6589.html

Just some rough figuring:
14.96@93.4 mph with supercharger, guessing about 3500 lb with driver, 222 wheel hp needed, 20% loss through drivetrain, about 280 at the flywheel. 'Charger was adding another 40%, a nice bump over the stock 200 hp. Looks like run was made on a hot day so obviously has more on tap with cooler air.

If you are into car math check out this link:
http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm
Thank you for those links BLKXLT. :) :thumb:

#24 ·
Thats awesome!!!!!! Thats the guy right there. AWESOME websites posted!!!!! Well anything can pretty much be supercharged but is there one made specificly made for the 08's and 09's???

#26 ·
oskerb said:
Thats awesome!!!!!! Thats the guy right there. AWESOME websites posted!!!!! Well anything can pretty much be supercharged but is there one made specificly made for the 08's and 09's???
Kenne Bell made one for the older V6 (which should be good from 01-08) but it was discontinued due to low demand. Haven't heard of one for the 09s yet, and with the demise of the Kenne Bell, I don't know if anyone is going to try.

There's also whatever Noble uses to turbocharge the M12; maybe one of our UK members can go knock on their doors and ask for a "sampler". :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.