Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
No tow hooks, but there may be tie-down loops. There is no easy way to bolt on tow hooks, as even things like brush guards and push bars on the 2001-2007 body type were attached to the tie down loops - meant for tying down to a trailer and only good for light pulling. If you plan on getting stuck often, it would be a good idea to install a Class III hitch with a D-ring shackle attachment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , I bought the truck for my daughter , she got stuck in our driveway last week , more than 15" of snow and she slid down the hill next to the driveway , could not find tow hooks as snow was above bumpers .
So I guess I will install a trailer hitch , at least I'll be able to pull her out . I have a pathfinder , the wife a jeep to pull her out , much easier than 2 hours of shovelling !
Surprised there are no tow hooks , almost all cars have some ring or hook in front and back to make it easy to pull up on a flatbed .

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Those are the tie-down hooks I was referring to - okay for winching and holding the car in place while in transit, but you don't want to yank hard on them. For most winter situations, it will be fine to pull on them while the Escape helps with its own power, unless the car is really hung up. With the older body styles, there were two tie-down loops under the car, roughly in line with the headlamps. I don't see them in high-res images of the newer 2008+ body style, but they may just be tucked up underneath the air dam. If they are, I'm not sure you can pull on them without damaging the bumper cover. 2001-2004 models also had a (very weak) ring welded under the trunk floor, but I'm guessing that was done away with when the spare tire was relocated to the underside.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm shocked the Escape got stuck, but the Jeep and Pathfinder didn't. Must be the driver inexperience? :hyst:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kkreit01 said:
I'm shocked the Escape got stuck, but the Jeep and Pathfinder didn't. Must be the driver inexperience? :hyst:
jeep band pathfinder have better clearance and real 4x4 with locking transfer case , not a surprise at all . My pathfinder was able to circle the escape , and it could not get out as the snow was supporting the escape , it is a bit lower than both jeep and pathfinder .

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Jerry I bolted two to the front and made one that bolts onto my trailer hitch for the rear. then i saw them for sell , the ones that slip into the trailor hitch..

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Where did you bolt them to? Would you trust them for yanking on, or just normal pulling?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I bought them at NAPA Auto. i'll get some pics up tomorrow night. i'd trust them for a pull out, however, I welded some stiffners to my frame when i purchased the Escape once i realized it was on a uniframe. (lack of research on my part)

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I want pics!!! long time coming... :hyst:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same question but related to securing a canoe to the front of my 2010 Escape. I eventually had a custom made tie-down bar made by a machine shop (and later had 20 more made in case someone else needed the same thing). It really isn't designed for towing per se but it is more than strong enough for assisted extraction from a snow drift (as I personally found out last winter). I posted my mod a few weeks ago. Have a look here: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15721

You can fashion something yourself by using the same existing holes in the bumper that I did. Look for the plastic tabs that secure the bumper covering to the bumper. Remove the plastic tabs and you'll have a good bumper attachment point to add a hook.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts