Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, only at night, not sure if that makes a difference. Someone will open the door and close it to get out and the door open light will remain lit as well as the interior lights, so i ask them to reclose it, same thing everything still lit up. Then i open and close all my doors, same thing. SO I open and close mine a couple of times and then it goes away. So sometimes when my door is opened the lights will stay on so i have to reopen my door and close it a few times and it goes away

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Ford uses a switch inside the door latch to "tell" the computer that the door is opened or closed, and to operate the interior lams. If your door latch isn't regularly lubricated, dirt could accumulate on the mechanism used to "trip" the switch.

In english, some WD-40 inside the latch assembly should fix it.

:D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Um, I wouldn't use WD-40 in this area for lubricant. Perhaps if it is gumming up, you can use WD-40 to loosen it up, but then flush out with brake parts cleaner, or it will attract all manner of dirt and gunk. Lube this area with graphite powder to ensure long-term reliability.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe white lithium grease is a better choice?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
slavrenz said:
Um, I wouldn't use WD-40 in this area for lubricant. Perhaps if it is gumming up, you can use WD-40 to loosen it up, but then flush out with brake parts cleaner, or it will attract all manner of dirt and gunk. Lube this area with graphite powder to ensure long-term reliability.
Um, brake cleaner can damage/weaken/crack some plastics, and there are several plastic parts inside both the switch and the latch mechanism. This is the last thing you want to try.

Ford recommends their XG-4 or XL-5 / ESB-M1C93-B lubricant in the owner's manual. Guess what? It's similar to WD-40.

I wouldn't use graphite, since that "cakes" up as it attracts any part of other lubricants. White lithium spray is OK, but cheaper brands of lithium also tend to "cake" up after a while.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've always used WD-40 on mine. I usually do it this time of year, each year. I've never had any problems. On occasion I might take an old rag before starting and wipe some of the dirt off, but it's always helped me. My old '98 explorer had a similar issue years ago to the one described here, and as JP stated above, it fixed mine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Used WD-40 on both the door locks and the door hinge, no luck. Im going to take of the panel, perhaps the after market speakers dislodged something. Any one have a diagram of how the door courtesy works?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
jpark said:
slavrenz said:
Um, brake cleaner can damage/weaken/crack some plastics, and there are several plastic parts inside both the switch and the latch mechanism. This is the last thing you want to try.

Ford recommends their XG-4 or XL-5 / ESB-M1C93-B lubricant in the owner's manual. Guess what? It's similar to WD-40.

I wouldn't use graphite, since that "cakes" up as it attracts any part of other lubricants. White lithium spray is OK, but cheaper brands of lithium also tend to "cake" up after a while.
You may have plastic parts in the latch, but a quick squirt of brake cleaner isn't going to hurt them - unless you're using it regularly (which...just don't :) ). As for graphite, agree to disagree. I've always used it on my cars (and it has been documented several other places, including Popular Mechanics). The Ford stuff probably works, and it may be similar to WD-40, but it isn't WD-40. I'm still hesistant to squirt anything into my locks & latches that is going to hold on to dirt and other contaminants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts