Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the specifications to the 02 Ford Escape? I think i turned up my bass a little too much when I was driving the other day and now my rear right one makes a rattle :bang: ... So if anyone can help me out with this Id appreciate it!

AW

[mod]Moved to Interior Mods.[/mod]

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Since it is an 02 then the speaker might have been dry rotted and when you turned the stereo it split the cone from the surrounding. That or a bolt came loose off the speaker. I am sure if you look under problems and solutions you might find the break down for the door panel to find out your problem, iof not google 2002 ford escape door panel removal this is what I found.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_remove_the_door_panel_on_a_2002_Ford_Escape

·
Registered
490 Posts
What sort of specs are you looking for? You want OEM speaker specs? I'd suggest replacing them with aftermarket. Almost any aftermarket speaker will sound better than stock. Phoenix Gold Rsd coax sound great, and will be <$50 shipped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AH thanks that helped, since I'm putting in my 15 " sub, I'm not worried about that door speaker, as it will be overheard anyways. So yeah all three responses helped. Thanks guys..

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Its just a face-palm moment for me to read this.

Painful, really.

Do you want music in your truck? Or just noise?

I ask this with the best intentions despite the sarcasm, believe me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
fourthmeal said:
Its just a face-palm moment for me to read this.

Painful, really.

Do you want music in your truck? Or just noise?

I ask this with the best intentions despite the sarcasm, believe me.
:doh: :doh:

:whistle:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sorry to be so blunt, but I always end up scratching my head as to why someone would stuff a massive sub in the trunk, amplify the living hell out of it, but then completely deny themselves the pleasure of enjoying a proper musical sound stage in their vehicle. Bass makes up less than 10% of the musical spectrum, and while it is important to have a solid sub-stage, there is nobody in their right mind who actually enjoys listening to music (as opposed to those who just play tons of bass for the attention they get on the street) when it doesn't sound musical. Factory speakers, especially in a vehicle like this, are sub-standard at best at getting a solid sound image up front and in the cabin with you.

The vehicle needs deadening work, to quell the rattles and resonance vibrations created by the road as well as the speakers. Both with deadening mat (25% rule), and with closed-cell foam and/or mass-loaded vinyl. Especially in the doors, and the trunk's floor. The sides are actually fairly quiet in the back (they have MLV with jute carpeting already present on most E/M/T models.)

In addition to deadening itself, this deadening material also serves as a seal maker in the doors. All those little holes and opening that let a speaker's back wave contact its front wave should be filled, as you do the deadening process.

The vehicle has 5x7 oval speaker holes, but most quality speakers are available at a better value in a 6.5" version. If you are keeping the stock head unit or aftermarket head unit as your power source you should stay with 5x7's. Because a factory HU can output about 10-12W of relatively clean power per channel, and an aftermarket head can muster about 14-20W of relatively clean power per channel, the advantage of a 5x7 speaker and its larger surface area per given magnet design means you have a slightly more efficient driver with this oval shape. However, if you are amplifying the driver (and that is highly recommended!), you should consider switching to a 6.5" round speaker to take advantage of the higher sound quality potential (dollar for dollar compared with a 5x7 of similar design) and let the naturally more stiff conical shape work to your advantage providing less distortion per dB of output. Most higher quality speakers also have more excursion potential compared with the stock 5x7, so the actual total clean output will exceed the stock speakers' design if you have enough power. In order to properly fit a 6.5" driver, a simple baffle adapter is all that is needed. They can be made with a variety of materials (I prefer 1/4" cutting board plastic) in about 10 minutes. Sometimes some 6.5" drivers come WITH the adapter!

There is much more to it, but I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time explaining this to deaf ears first, or if people are able to use this knowledge to help themselves. I'll let you guys decide.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Apparently that was a waste of time.

Bottom line is, speakers operate as a matched pair, creating an illusory 3D "image" to the listener in the middle of them. If one goes down, you are better off simply knocking out the one on the other side than having your sound stage dragged to the side operating still. Rear speakers don't matter a single lick to the front seats (in a proper system), so turn them off if you are down one.

·
Registered
490 Posts
For a very cheap, drop-in coax, I'd recommend the Phoenix Gold RSDs 6" or 6.5". I figured I try them -- based on the reviews of their components. I put a set of 6" in my Mariner (along with a lot of sound deadener), and I'm very pleased with them. I paid $35 NIB, shipped to my door (ebay). I like the sound of them better than the Infinity Kappas in my Sport Trac -- which MSRP for ~$200. IMO, the Rsds sound very pure, and not too harsh (like the Kappas). They are a large improvement over OEM -- and I still have the original deck. For the price, I will probably throw another set in the rear -- so the kiddos can enjoy better sound as well. Heck, I'm even thinking of replacing the Kappas with them. (I could probably sell the Kappas used, and come out even.) Sure, there are way better-sounding speakers out there, but not at this price/performance.

·
Registered
263 Posts
fourthmeal said:
:hyst: :hyst:

I side with your fourthmeal, nothing is more annoying than a offbalanced soundstage....but I guess if you just want noise...well what can one say ? :lol:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
gmercedesbenz said:
fourthmeal said:

I side with your fourthmeal, nothing is more annoying than a offbalanced soundstage....but I guess if you just want noise...well what can one say ? :lol:
The frustrating thing is, people WANT great sound quality and their entire lives improve a little bit when they have it in their lives. I know this because I worked as a home theater designer and installer for years. Doing it in a car only makes sense, we're in the darn things ALL the time, stuck in traffic, running errands, on trips, etc. We might as well at least try to make it an enjoyable place to be. Music when properly reproduced creates emotions, and liberates us from our confines of space. That's why I'm so passionate about it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
fourthmeal said:
gmercedesbenz said:
fourthmeal said:

The frustrating thing is, people WANT great sound quality and their entire lives improve a little bit when they have it in their lives. I know this because I worked as a home theater designer and installer for years. Doing it in a car only makes sense, we're in the darn things ALL the time, stuck in traffic, running errands, on trips, etc. We might as well at least try to make it an enjoyable place to be. Music when properly reproduced creates emotions, and liberates us from our confines of space. That's why I'm so passionate about it.
I share your passion in properly reproducing sound, I work at a college as Media Systems Engineer, so on a daily basis, I work on a team that is asked to come up with and install solutions in classroom and venue settings that properly convey the media as it should be presented. You couldn't be more right about making audio in vehicles as good as it can be. The car is one of the hardest places to reproduce sound, because of things you mentioned, traffic, road noise etc., but we have the ability to make sound in a vehicle sound pretty darn good. You just have to put some effort and money in. Personally, I think its almost an injustice to the music if you play it on a system that doesn't produce the sound quality that its capable of producing. If you want noise...just roll down the windows and drive 65 mph. (Not trying to offend anyone, just my two cents).

·
Registered
679 Posts
i have the pheonik golds and love them!! U can't go wrong for the price and sound quality!! Warning they need a amp!! Sound deadening also!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
andjayik said:
i have the pheonik golds and love them!! U can't go wrong for the price and sound quality!! Warning they need a amp!! Sound deadening also!!
He means *Phoenix Gold* for people following along. PG RSd

·
Registered
679 Posts
He means *Phoenix Gold* for people following along. PG RSd[/quote]

Ya that's what i meant, to many beers!! LOL :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts