Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a cd/dvd double din player. Dont really need the navi that much, i would rather save my money there, but what is some good brands or models to look for? Pioneer? Jensen? Kenwood? Help me out guys

·
Registered
231 Posts
pioneer P6000 is a 6 dvd in dash double din.. which is AWESOME. or p4000 is a single dvd double din... looks like the avic-d3

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is a pioneer AVH-P4000DVD that is factory refurbished and factory sealed by pioneer for around $350 a good buy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've just been looking into this and the Kenwood DNX5120, a double-DIN, supposedly doesn't fit the Escape according to Crutchfield. In fact, CF lists only single-DIN units as fitting. What's up with that? I've seen the DNX5120 on eBay for $700 which is almost half that CF is asking. I like the idea of onboard Garmin navigation since I don't care to bother with any DVD-based system at all. I've gone through 3 Garmin receivers already and I ain't planning on stopping.

BTW, excuse my noobness, but what exactly is the MACH stereo system?

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Crutchfield is wrong. They are basing off of the thing if you don't do any modifications...but that's not what we here at EC are about! We LOVE to mod our vehicles. If you take off your center bezel piece you will notice that there is a black plastic lip that is hanging down that fits perfectly with your current stock stereo...this plastic piece simply needs to be grinded down with a file or a dremel tool. After you get rid of that piece you can easily fit a double-din in there. I know...I did it :)

MACH stereo is the upgraded version of the stock stereo you can get in your Escape. It's just a better name brand, has more power and sounds better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay, so my stereo is an Audiophile. Where does that fit in with respect to the Mach stereo?

I'm probably not going to want to grind anything down right now since my Escape is leased and going back before the year is up. Presumably. I might just buy it back, but I might also want to get a new 09 Escape. I haven't decided yet. I suppose the good thing about the aftermarket Kenwood is that I could take it out at the end and put it in a new vehicle if it's double-DIN. That raises the point, does grinding down this tab for clearance prevent the re-installation of the stock HU?

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Backing up Pupster I can attest to that. That piece isn't seen anyways so it doesn't matter...don't know why it's there in the first place lol

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
A friend of mine had a dvd/cd entertainment system in his previous car. :) He would press a button, and ever so quietly the screen would slide out smooth as silk and position itself. I thought it was quite a blast.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Get a JVC Double din....like the KW-AVX800. This is probably the the most requested unit of it's type at the stereo shop I like to deal with...a lot of people have only good things to say about them...

·
Registered
297 Posts
i must admit i'm not over enamored with the stock stereo in my 2002 UK car - is it the same as the escapes do you know? i have a reasonable single din which could go in but do fancy a double - only the lack of detachable face puts me off :( any pics around of a double in the escape? if it needs a bit of modding then would the stock unit go back in when reselling?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to the board, I've been looking for a place to call home with a forum containing valuable information and reliable activity - thank you for having me....

I'm really interested in Double Din replacement for the factory radio in my 2007 Escape Limited. I see that Scooter Scott has a Kenwood Double Din unit installed, and others seem to as well. It looks as though the stereo is Double-Din - but I can't find my hooks I used to have to pull ford factory units out. Is it in fact easily swappable to a different unit? Crutchfield does not list a double din as compatible.... It's too bad I didn't realize this sooner, everyone was closing out pioneer avic-d3's this spring, which would have done the trick.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
SilverAthlon said:
Hello all, I'm new to the board, I've been looking for a place to call home with a forum containing valuable information and reliable activity - thank you for having me....

I'm really interested in Double Din replacement for the factory radio in my 2007 Escape Limited. I see that Scooter Scott has a Kenwood Double Din unit installed, and others seem to as well. It looks as though the stereo is Double-Din - but I can't find my hooks I used to have to pull ford factory units out. Is it in fact easily swappable to a different unit? Crutchfield does not list a double din as compatible.... It's too bad I didn't realize this sooner, everyone was closing out pioneer avic-d3's this spring, which would have done the trick.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
:welcome:

Thanks for coming to the City! Hope you will stay and call this your home as we have! Go introduce yourself in the Tailgate section too :rockon:

Clicky

There are your Ford Radio Removal keys...

Now as far as the Double-Din goes...there are lots of different options. I got my radio for http://www.buy.com I can look up the name of the seller. That was by far the cheapest I have found. Also if you look at http://www.onlinecarstereo.com you will find some great deals. Let us know what types of functions/features you are looking for and we can point you in the direction of a good headunit for yourself.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Scott,

Thanks for such a warm welcome, I checked in at tailgate and 2 people had already posted welcome! I am sooo glad to hear DD is possible, and I am very familiar with buy.com, I'm on that site daily. Thanks for the link, the $4 is worth it just to not have to look all over again as I did last night.

I was very impressed with the Pioneer Avic D3X http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EEazJgDEZ9s/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=130avicd3x&search=avic+d3x which is still "findable". I am not a required bluetooth user, but I know I would use it if I had it. I read a lot about the D3 and removing the "park" feature that limited DVD play while in motion, as I almost bought one for a different vehicle. Ipod connectivity through the "dock" connector is desirable as well. Are there other models you'd recommend that are comparable? I am in the $800-900 price range.

I'm not afraid to get in and be creative, I already hard wired my Cobra 9840 Radar Detector. It's not likely i'll be upgrading door speakers, but I will probably be installing a 12" Infinity Kappa at the sacrifice of 1/3 the rear space.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Some users don't like the Pioneer's navigation software...and I have also read that other places. Kenwood/Eclipse uses Garmin software in their head units which is more desirable...that's why I went with my Kenwood. Also I liked that the Kenwood H/U had RDS (Radio Data System) built in so I can see the station name and what song is playing. I am leaving work right now but I can get more into this a little later...PS my new bluetooth that I have in mine rocks. It streams music from my phone through my car speakers and sounds awesome!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I didn't mean to Hi-Jack this thread, but in the interest of the double din question, I looked around and came to the same conclusion - the Kenwood 7100 Series is a hot little number and offers many of the features that were requirements to me. I have been a loyal Pioneer customer for years, but unfortunately they don't have a current product using Garmin nav software and RDS. I looked at possibly using a fold out screen earlier, but wrote it off since there is adequate space to install a nicer unit. In any event, installing anything is a better option than the stock H/U.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.