Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried installing a Draw Tite hitch on my 2010 Mariner V6, but ran into a problem.

There is a canister of some sort welded onto the tail pipe, that is interfering with the hitch.

Does anyone know what that part is? It's not connected to anything, no wire or tube. It is just in the way.

I have emailed etrailer, where I bought the hitch, but haven't heard back yet.

Has anyone successfully installed a hitch with that canister there? If so, what brand and model?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
That cannister, to the best of my knowledge is just to keep the tailpipe from vibrating. So that would make it a dampener.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what etrailer found out and told me. They say it was just added this year, and Draw-Tite didn't know until recently.

They suggested moving the exhaust, but that's not something I want or know how to do.

I guess I'll be returning the hitch until they redesign it.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Would you be up to taking that baffle out? Cause I am sure there wont be a redesign for that issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can cut it off, Dremel with a cutoff disc.

I'm just worried about the consequences. I wonder how bad the vibration was that Ford added that contraption.

I noticed Ford shows a different part number for the hitch for late model vehicles, like mine. Trouble with theirs is you have to cut out part of the bumper cover. I'm not crazy about that.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is that deadener a V6 thing? My 2010 Escape I4 does not have that. My hitch would not have worked either. But mine is a Hidden Hitch that hangs down just under the bumper so no cutting was needed. Not sure about yours.

How much can that gizmo really add to quieting?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hitch I bought was a Draw Tite, same as the Hidden Hitch. It hangs below the bumper

Apparently, from what you're saying, the I4 doesn't have that dampener. Mine is a V6.

The OEM Ford hitch goes through the bumper, you have to cut out a portion of the bumper cover to install it. Cutting is not a problem, it's only plastic. I'm not sure what it will look like, you'd have make make a neat cut.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Nope. No gizmo on mine. Not sure if it is a V6 thing or a Mercury difference from Ford.

Space out the rack. If it will fit past the gizmo, just remove the rear pipe hanger and put the hitch on. Then re-hang the pipe. In looking at it, I think you might be able to get around it.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I like the looks of the Curt 13650 Class 3 hitch. It seems to be the same as the Hidden Hitch.

Here are the installation instructions:

http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterlibr ... 50_INS.pdf

I think I'll pick one up before my Escape even arrives. Yes, still waiting...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could you confirm to me the p/n of that Hidden Hitch? It looks like the Class III, with 2" receiver.

I may go with that. I'll have to use an adapter for my 1 1/4" bike carrier, but that's no biggie.

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I think that I'm going to order a Curt 12060 Class 2. It has the same mounting brackets as the one shown here by Tallwelderguy, and those brackets are the same as the ones used by the Curt 13506 Class 3 hitch. It uses factory frame rails holes, two horizonal and one vertical on each side, for extra strength.

It has a 1-1/4 " hitch receiver. It says that there's drilling required, but from the looks of the instructions, there's only a generic message that says "on some vehicles".

http://tinyurl.com/y5j3za7

Here are the installation instructions:

http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterlibr ... 60_INS.pdf

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am using the hitch just for a bike rack, no towing.

jpark, I agree, the Curt 12060 looks like it should fit. And I prefer a 1 1/4", since that's what my bike rack is.

Think I'll order one today.

·
Registered
574 Posts
sinister mob said:
normkol said:
Could you confirm to me the p/n of that Hidden Hitch? It looks like the Class III, with 2" receiver.

I may go with that. I'll have to use an adapter for my 1 1/4" bike carrier, but that's no biggie.
Are you towing or just need it for a bike rack? I put on a 1-1/4" Hidden Hitch with no issues. It will clear that Gizmo I believe.

Here is the one I have: http://www.hidden-hitch.com/p-90155..._with_Drawbar-20107947-hitch-Ford_Escape.html
You got a pic of the arse end of your Escape with that hitch on it? I'm debating between this one and the tube style class III hidden hitch - I can use 1 1/4 or 2" as my bike rack works with either. Not planning on towing, just for accessories, but I like the look of the 2". Just curious for comparisons. THANKS!

(My escape is the same colour as yours, which is why I am asking)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I installed the Curt 12060 hitch with the 118430 T-One harness, and I'm very satisfied with it. There was no drilling or widening of any holes in the frame required, the bolts and spacers fed right through the back of the frame without a hitch <groan!>. The T-One harness also installed easily. It took me about an hour and a half for the entire install, mainly because I decided to solder some of the connections rather than use butt connectors, and I loomed all the wires before running them under the chassis. The only thing I still want to get is a secure clamshell mount for the 4-wire plug that I can attach to the hitch.

The hitch itself sits about 1/4" below my '09 Mariner's bumper, and looks like it came with the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.