Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well..it happened.
Just got back from a couple of weeks of driving and without going into the gory details I had to have the transmission replaced.
Had it done at a local Ford dealership..they replaced with a reconditioned box and the car was back on the road with 24 hours.
It wasn't cheap but it feels like a new car...it's now obvious that the other tranny hadn't been the best for quite a while.

The car is getting hail damage repairs done at the moment, so it'll be just like getting a new car in a week or so.

:)

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,649 Posts
Sorry to heat about your tranny issues!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
OUCH!

Transmission, then the hail!

Make that a double OUCH!

I feel for you.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Glad you were able to get it fixed up quickly and it feels like new. Also sorry to hear about the hail damage. I hope it wasn't too extensive... Fingers crossed that that's it for repairs for a while!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good wishes. :)
It was actually Hail...then the tranny failure. The hail damage happened back in March when a big storm hit Melbourne. It has taken until now for the Insurance company to get the repairs started. There were thousands of vehicles affected and the local panel shops will be very busy for a long time yet. My hood was covered in big "dimples"...half of the roof.. tops of all doors...top of the front guards/fenders. Plenty of cars suffered much more damage than mine...enough for them to be considered "write offs" by the insurance companies.

Take a look at this and other related videos on Youtube to give an idea of how bad it was:

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
:shock: YIKES! That hail was huge! I hope no one was seriously hurt. The video with the pool in it was insane. Looked like a giant jaccuzzi tub turned up to 11.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
can you give an estimated cost of trans replacement at the dealer?

My coworker/old boss just bought a 05 escape xlt with bad trans and had it done at a trans shop in town for $2k. Just wondering for future reference if mine fails...it slips every so often.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
The original poster is in Australia. Not sure his cost will be in-line with what we pay here...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
bah true...dang it. but I figure dealer here (US) would charge $3-4k about... fingers crossed my trans is okay ;)

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
From what I've read over the years, they can range from $1350 for a rebuilt trans to $3800 for a new one. I guess it really depends on who you bring it to. Good luck, I hope they don't find anything serious...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yeah I've seen rebuilt trans from $1100-1900 but thats not with labor to install as well. The shop my boss brought his to, did a full rebuild and install for $2k but they took 5 weeks, with 4.9 of those weeks the escape sitting outside with no work done to it. I'm not sure how hard the install/removal of the trans is but I would probably buy a low mile trans and install it myself if I could.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just had mine replaced!!

Only purchased the vehicle a few weeks ago and the gearbox "spat the dummy"....cutting a long story short, the previous owner had tried to tow a large boat and over-heated the box.

As this car in my new 'pride and joy' I opted for a new box instead of a re-built one. Cost me AU$5795.00 installed by the local Ford Dealer in Hobart. On the plus side it comes with a full factory warranty etc........she drives like a dream now!!

Legal team currently working on the previous owner!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine was a fully reconditioned box, supplied and fitted for exactly $3000 with a 2 year and 40,000klm warranty. All done at a Ford dealership here in Melbourne. I'm very happy with the way it drives now...changes are much smoother..it doesn't hold onto 3rd gear for as long as it used to..downshifts are much more positive. I'm betting that fuel consumption will improve as well.

Still waiting to get it back from the panel shop......

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vern said:
Just had mine replaced!!

Only purchased the vehicle a few weeks ago and the gearbox "spat the dummy"....cutting a long story short, the previous owner had tried to tow a large boat and over-heated the box.

As this car in my new 'pride and joy' I opted for a new box instead of a re-built one. Cost me AU$5795.00 installed by the local Ford Dealer in Hobart. On the plus side it comes with a full factory warranty etc........she drives like a dream now!!

Legal team currently working on the previous owner!!!
G'day Vern,
Nice to see another "Taswegian" on the forum. I live in Melbourne now and have spent time pretty much all over but originally from Tassie. Best place in the world as far as I'm concerned and if it were at all possible I'd move back in a heartbeat.

I'm guessing your tranny was installed at Tilford Motors? My brother got his first job there as a salesman back in the late 60's...he's now the owner of a Toyota dealership in country Victoria. Small world eh?

Anyway...enjoy the Escape as well as all the great driving that Tassie has to offer!
:thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Every time I see a post like this, I'm even happier I have a 2.3L 4-banger.

Hope the new one lasts longer. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
badtlc said:
Every time I see a post like this, I'm even happier I have a 2.3L 4-banger.

Hope the new one lasts longer. Good luck.
I have one too, my only reasoning is that 1. we can only tow 1500lbs and 2. less torq so less hard wear? My dads v6 escape has 70k miles with no issue so far, mine has 112k with maybe some slip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts