Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking since buying my 2010 Escape Limited 4WD in July. I have a question regarding driving in sand (such as on Assateague Island). Is there any harm that can be caused to the drivetrain or other components by driving in sand? The sand is fairly loose on Assateague Island. Also for those that do drive in sand do you leave the traction control on or off?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
For sand all you need is low tire pressure (15psi) and make sure your rims are up to some fine scratching.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I've always wanted to take my Escape on the beach at Assateague Island. I've thought about it but decided it wasn't worth the cost of the permit to do it only once. I would think the Escape would handle it fine. I've been through some fairly deep sand in the NJ Pine Barrens without dropping the pressure in the tires. If I was to go on the beach, I would definitely drop the pressure in the tires. If you try it, enjoy yourself and watch out for the pony poop :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took it out in the sand this past Saturday and for the most part it handled it fine. It did best as I drove in the tracks where the main traffic drives. Although at some points the ruts were fairly deep and I found myself pushing sand with the front spoiler. A couple of times when I was off the beaten path it bogged down. Almost like I let off the gas but I didn't. I'm not used to this type of 4wd system so maybe it was due to my inexperience with how the power is applied to the drive wheels.

I did have alot of sand on the undercarriage when I got home. 2 more inches of ground clearance would be great.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Oh yeah and you want the traction control off as well

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Driving in the sand requires the widest possible area of rolling.Deflating the tires at least 10 psi helps a lot.The bigger, in diameter, the tire the better since the rolling friction is drastically reduced.Fancy rims with low profile tires are not recommended.Speeding, accelerating and steering abides to the same rules as driving in ice, ie as smooth as possible.
All electronic controls is advised to be off, including ESP, traction, etc.
Dark sand is more passable than the blonde one, and that is no joke.
Finally at the end of the day a good undercarriage wash is recomended.

PS.:There is great difference between similar looking sand areas.Not all sands are the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys, Newby board user here. I too would like to drive my 06 Tribute on NJ sandy beaches and do some fishing, but I think that I got the wrong vehicle for that. I would like to comment that on the manual it say NOT to deflate the tires at all for driving in sand. I would like your opinion on why that might be.
thanks.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I consider it a very responsible comment on behalf of FORD.
In the old manuals there is, unfortunately, no such comment.
But...doing things beyond what is "normal" require that you have good and absolute knowledge of what you are doing.This, unfortunately, does not hold true with the every day commuter or with those that they do something just because they heard that or read that someone else did it.
There are two major dangers concerning the deflation of tires for sand driving.
Danger 1/After you are done with sand driving, due to the absence of an auxiliary pump to inflate the tires you drive on tarmac roads with deflated tires for miles before you come to a gas station.
During those miles you are a potential threat to your well being and that of the others sharing the road.
Danger 2/Deflated tubeless radial tires on stock rims are prone to flex way too much on their sidewalls and that flexing results in some sand getting in between the tire and the rim lip.The resulting consequence is a gradual loss of air which eventually leads to a flat tire.

So, not being a lawyer myself, I cannot say how this comment covers Ford.But I am sure it covers the customers by not condoning practices which may endanger their well being.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
With all due respect, the Escape can drive as well and as bad on any sand compared to a real 4X4, as long as the driver is knowing what to do and when.
Only once I got stuck in the sand with my V6 because of a bad mistake and not the car's ability to cope with it.
PS. At least three times a year a rally raid will take me in a treacherous sand environment.
No problem!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.