Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The center support bearing for the rear driveshaft on my daughter's 03 Escape AWD is making noise / vibration. I ordered a replacement along with new U-joints but I'm not going to get them in time for a 500 mile trip she's starting tomorrow. I'm concerned it might get worse on her trip and start to create real issues. Could I just remove the driveshaft between the transfer case and the rear diff and maybe pull a fuse for the AWD engagement? I've searched and read a few posts about this and some say it's doable but some said it's a bad idea so not sure what to think - has anyone done this that can report back?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The 03 probably has a fuse for the 4wd clutch circuitry. Do you live in an area where 4WD is a necessity? If not, you can just keep it FWD. I took the driveshaft and the rear axles (except the part between the CV and the wheel hub) out from my 05: the ride is much quieter. No more of those noises that make one wonder what's the next thing going to fail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 03 probably has a fuse for the 4wd clutch circuitry. Do you live in an area where 4WD is a necessity? If not, you can just keep it FWD. I took the driveshaft and the rear axles (except the part between the CV and the wheel hub) out from my 05: the ride is much quieter. No more of those noises that make one wonder what's the next thing going to fail.
Thanks, AWD does come in handy here in Colorado at times so this would only be temporary. I did remove the driveshaft this afternoon and pulled the "4WD" fuse (#4, left side of driver's footwell). Sadly the noise / vibration is still there so apparently the source of the problem is elsewhere. It seemed to drive just fine otherwise, no warning lights or anything else so it seems to be an option if you have issues with that part of the drivetrain or I guess in my case if you want to eliminate something as a source of your problem. I'll dig into this a bit more this weekend - hopefully a front wheel bearing or front driveshaft and not something more spendy. My daughter will get to take my Fiesta ST this weekend so she's happy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Unless it has been done recently, now might be a good time to do an oil change in the PTU and the diff. You'll be free for the rest of the vehicle's life. It would be great if your noise issue was only a front wheel bearing. They're a consumable item on this generation of Escapes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts