Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving to class one morning and I hadn't noticed that the lies on the road had been painted. There were no cones or signs or even a crew painting the lines out. I realized later that day that one side of the car has yellow paint all in the wheel well and kinda on the back bumper along with my side step bar.

Is there a way to remove paint without removing the original finish??

Thanks!

-James

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Depends on the angle you could use a razor and scrap it off but be gentle.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Before you use any solvents as several have mentioned above (and, if you do, try in a hidden spot to make sure it doesn't hurt the paint), first try detailing clay - it's non-abrasive and won't cause any damage. Mothers kit is the easiest to find at any auto parts stores.

The origin of detailing clay is bodyshop paint overspray clay - a bit more aggressive. Not as generally available, but you can find it at autobody supply shops and online. Take a look at Meguiars, they make both grades (and possibly a third in the middle, I don't remember).

The problem you describe is why overspray clay exists.

-SPARKZZ

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I forgot about the OOPS product. I used it on a work truck (Dodge Heavy Duty) that had aluminum paint drops all over it after working at a remote FAA site. I was welding some of the counter poise (about 125' off the ground) and another guy was spreading the rustproofing paint. I didn't realize all the paint that he was flicking off the roller. The wind caught it and took it over to the truck a block away. The OOPS took it right off, and the trucks finish was unharmed from the product. But, as mentioned above. Test it out on an unseen area!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.