Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 Escape Limited V6 has the factory installed trailer towing package with the 4 wire flat connector for the trailer lights. I'm about to buy a trailer that uses the 7 pole blade connector. The trailer is a Triton TC16 if that means anything to you. Basically the trailer does NOT have brakes. I think that the 7 wire connector is because brakes are an option on this trailer (though I'm not getting them) and also to power extra running lights and an interior dome light.

As a temporary measure I figured I would just pick up some kind of adapter that would get me by temporarily until I get the Escape wired up with the correct connector. It seems to me that the tail, brake, and signal lights should still work and it would be just the extra lighting that doesn't. But after cruising around the web I have not seen any kind of adapter that will do this. There are plenty that go the other way (i.e. let you plug a 4 wire trailer into a 7 wire socket). I have also seen a lot of 4 to 7 adapters that plug into the 4 wire socket and also have a couple of extra wires that run to the battery like this one: http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/p ... apter.html. But I'm not seeing anything that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Does such a thing even exist? Would it be a bad idea if it did? Could I use one of the ones I mentioned above and just leave the extra wires hanging (temporarily of course).

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
WRIGHT COUNTY! You need to keep updated on our Midwest meetup.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7107

My understanding is that the 7-pin controls more than just the 4-pin. Possibly includes brakes, more lighting... so it gets complicated. No dumb question here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A 4-Way flat offers the following functions, and usually in the color code below.

White - Ground
Brown - Running Lights
Yellow - Left Turn and Brake Light
Green - Right Turn and Brake Light

When you step up to a 7-Way you add 3 more circuits in addition to the 4 above, again, they typically follow this color code.

Blue - Electric Brake
Purple - Reverse Lights
Black or Red - 12V Power circuit for things like interior lights or boat batteries.

You won't find any adapters to step up from a 4-Way vehicle to a 7-Way trailer. They will all require a bit of additional wiring to be complete. The best thing to do is find a 7-Way that will plug into your 4-Way and wire the additional 3 circuits as needed. It's not nearly as daunting of a task as it sounds. You can omit the circuits that aren't needed. If you are not getting brakes, you won't need the brake circuit and if there are no reverse lights on the trailer, you won't need that either. You will probably want the 12V power circuit if the trailer has interior lights. Most of this type of adapter has 4-Way on the face as well so you can use either the 4-Way or 7-way depending on what you're towing.

Check out the link below for some diagrams and pictures of the different connectors used on trailers and vehicles.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts