Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone - I've only been here a few weeks, but you guys seem to be an alright bunch. I just bought a 2010 Escape XLT I4 FWD with 27,000 miles on it. My other car is a 2001 Mazda Protege, so I'm definitely not new to Ford technology :).

Anyways, the problem I have is that I am getting a really annoying rattle from the E-brake release handle on my Escape. If you look underneath the dash, you can see that the release handle is connected to a metal rod, which passes through a plastic sleeve & metal bracket before it reaches its hinge point further underneath the dash. It is rattling at this plastic sleeve and metal bracket location.

If I try moving the handle from side to side, it is loose, and the movement of the rod inside that sleeve and bracket assembly (the rod moves inside the sleeve, and the sleeve moves inside the bracket) is what is causing the rattling. Anyone have any tips on how to tighten this up? I'm not sure if I should try to take it in under warranty, as they may just try and say that the previous driver abused it (which I have not ruled out).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I hadn't noticed they moved the parking brake in the new models. What was wrong with that nice solid handle next to the gear shift?

I've had the under dash style parking brake before and always found it awkward to use.

Sorry I don't really have any insight as to how to fix that rattle for you. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Four_Eyes said:
It's a 2010, why not just get the dealer to fix it under warranty.
I'll probably end up doing that - I was just wondering if there was a simple way to fix it myself first, since I've been to the dealer twice already in the last month, and I feel kinda weird going in there for them to fix a rattle like this.

·
Registered
142 Posts
rehctelf said:
What was wrong with that nice solid handle next to the gear shift?
I think the main problem was that it took up a lot of real estate on the console. Moving the parking brake under the dash freed up space on the console to move the cup holders side-by-side (so the rear cup holder isn't blocked by the armrest/lid).

Most people with automatics never use the parking brake anyway. (On a side note, I had a 1998 F150 V6 manual trans with the parking brake under the dash and had no problem using it every day).

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MichaelJD1980 said:
I think the main problem was that it took up a lot of real estate on the console. Moving the parking brake under the dash freed up space on the console to move the cup holders side-by-side (so the rear cup holder isn't blocked by the armrest/lid).

Most people with automatics never use the parking brake anyway. (On a side note, I had a 1998 F150 V6 manual trans with the parking brake under the dash and had no problem using it every day).
I always use the parking brake on my cars, and I hate having it under the dash. Interestingly, I really hate the placement of the new cupholders, because they're a few inches ahead of the armrest, and I'm always trying to put my drink into a cupholder that is right next to the armrest (but obviously doesn't exist).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts